Audio Interface : Advice Needed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
OldBee

Audio Interface : Advice Needed

Post by OldBee » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:18 am

Hi All

I am new to both Ableton and the world of midi and audio interfaces, and am looking for some advice please:
I'm working on a new musical project that involves running the following live and simultaneously through an interface into Ableton :

* 2 instruments (guitar and bass)
* 1 analogue organ (Korg BX-3)
* 1 mic (vocals)
* 1 midi keyboard (Arturia Minilab)

The thing I'm stuck on is whether it is possible to then route these instruments live out of the interface into their respective amps. (Vox AC15 for guitar, Fender Bassman for bass, Vox AC30 for organ and P.A for vocals).

Finding an interface with the appropriate inputs seems simple enough, but most have only main, line level and mic outputs. The thing I'm confused about is whether routing the guitar, bass and organs through these line outputs and into amps will work? is line level into an amp the same as directly from instrument into amp?

And lastly, given all this info (sorry) can anyone advise an interface? So far the closest I've come is the Motu Track 16.

Thanks in advance

Richie Witch

Re: Audio Interface : Advice Needed

Post by Richie Witch » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:51 pm

Rather than live levels, I think your biggest challenge is going to be impedance matching. The input on those amps is Hi-Z, which I think is 1 Megohm or higher. I would think you'll have a hard time finding any interface that can drive a Hi-Z input. Not exactly sure how it would work, but you'll probably need to experiment with impedance matching transformers, like those found in DI boxes, but of course, you need to go in the opposite conversion.

Just my opinion, but I think you'll get more answers on this question from GearSlutz. Consider posting there too.
"Watching the Sky" ~ A 4-track EP of piano, strings, and Native American flute

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:10 pm

do a web-search on "re-amping". there are lots of devices out there for transforming a line-level signal back to something that will happily feed a regular guitar amp input...

OldBee

Post by OldBee » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:56 pm

Great, that already sheds some more light on the possibilities and obstacles.
Thanks!