Ipad Pro. 32Gb or 128GB ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: Ipad Pro. 32Gb or 128GB ?

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:28 pm

beats me wrote:Traktor on the iPad Mini has a different GUI than the iPad version and I think less features. So I don’t see why they couldn’t also make it different on the iPad Pro too. 1 app for all iPads, just work differently.
Well that's kind of my point. They COULD, but why should they? Are DJs flocking to the Pro for the advances it brings to iOS music making?

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great, but there's just not enough demand for people to take notice I think.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:29 pm

But, if they invest in making multi-touch Traktor for that size of screen, why not do it for the PC instead?

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:06 pm

Tarekith wrote:
beats me wrote:Traktor on the iPad Mini has a different GUI than the iPad version and I think less features. So I don’t see why they couldn’t also make it different on the iPad Pro too. 1 app for all iPads, just work differently.
Well that's kind of my point. They COULD, but why should they? Are DJs flocking to the Pro for the advances it brings to iOS music making?

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great, but there's just not enough demand for people to take notice I think.

Well I thought it was even sillier for them to make an iPad Mini specific GUI, not like users were demanding or expecting it. They probably would have been perfectly happy with the exact same layout downsized like 99.9% of all other developers have done.

But I agree the user base isn’t there yet for the iPad Pro. I don’t know what amount of recoding is involved but it’s going to be third party apps like Traktor that is going to attract more users because, as has been pointed out, we’re not all graphic designers and that seems to be the only target audience at this point. The iPad Pro probably had the shortest excitement longevity level of any Apple product Apple announced in the past decade.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:37 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Apple is trying to make lightening be the standard connection for their headphones. Or Bluetooth.

I am unhappy about this mostly because it is one less output option. It would be like having an audio interface which doesn't have any analog outputs. I want to be able to hook it up in different ways for various situations. Or at least give me a second lightning port :P

Everything on one port is atrocious. Taking away the option to buy standard headphones, or to use what's essentially a classic and extremely effective standard is not ideal. It does sound like they are seriously considering this new 'feature'. :/
that's Apple for you.

but not to fear! you can buy an adapter for $30
EVERY. FUCKING. TIME.

back on topic... if you're asking you can afford it. 128, live large.

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:09 am

Going with 128 GB. As of now, Ipad is going to be used strictly as a controller. I take lessons with an Ableton certified instructor and a controller guru named Jimmy Allison out of TX ( I live in NYC) and he was the one who mentioned buying new Ipad Air before Pro was even announced because he feels there are great music apps and a specific controller he loves which I think was called "Touchable" but I may be wrong. I do not plan to carry it around so I like the bigger display. I am sure I will get 5 years out of unit and may need more then the 27 GB on smaller model. I just purchased a new Imac after 7 years with my 2009 Imac which I am using right now to post. Other machine is strictly music production. My Iphone 4s lasted a few years because I went from 4s to 6 plus. For the extra $150 minus 10% because I am a vet, $135 is worth the money going from 32 to 128 GB.

FYI....I have received a number of PMs asking me for Jimmy's info. I do NOT make a penny by posting this and just want members who were struggling like me the chance to learn Ableton if all other methods failed. I tried Youtube videos, MacProVideo, Warp Academy, Groove3, and although I did learn by watching these tutorials, I learned more in 3 weeks of lessons then 5 months with videos One of the guys who PM'd me said he finally quit after buying Live 9 suite & Push. That sucks because had he took lessons, my guess is he would have stuck around. The decision to not take lessons changed his destiny. He already dropped over a grand so why not spend a little money on education. http://www.austinabletontutor.com Tell him BobbyD from NYC sent you his way. All lessons use Adobe Connect with video conferencing and screen sharing software so Jimmy watches what you are doing. He records the lessons and sends them to you so you can view video and entire lesson at later time and move as quickly as you want during lesson. Plus he is much less than other certified instructors and can actually "teach" because not all people can use their knowledge to teach others. If you live in Austin, he runs the Ableton Users Group. Drop in and say hello. Plus he is one super cool, nice, hip, good energy person and you will enjoy working with him.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:31 am

I've known Jimmy for awhile now, definitely a really ncie guy and knowledgeable Certified trainer. Glad to hear he's still doing his thing.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:04 pm

EasyWorkflow wrote:Going with 128 GB. As of now, Ipad is going to be used strictly as a controller. I take lessons with an Ableton certified instructor and a controller guru named Jimmy Allison out of TX ( I live in NYC) and he was the one who mentioned buying new Ipad Air before Pro was even announced because he feels there are great music apps and a specific controller he loves which I think was called "Touchable" but I may be wrong. I do not plan to carry it around so I like the bigger display. I am sure I will get 5 years out of unit and may need more then the 27 GB on smaller model. I just purchased a new Imac after 7 years with my 2009 Imac which I am using right now to post. Other machine is strictly music production. My Iphone 4s lasted a few years because I went from 4s to 6 plus. For the extra $150 minus 10% because I am a vet, $135 is worth the money going from 32 to 128 GB.

FYI....I have received a number of PMs asking me for Jimmy's info. I do NOT make a penny by posting this and just want members who were struggling like me the chance to learn Ableton if all other methods failed. I tried Youtube videos, MacProVideo, Warp Academy, Groove3, and although I did learn by watching these tutorials, I learned more in 3 weeks of lessons then 5 months with videos One of the guys who PM'd me said he finally quit after buying Live 9 suite & Push. That sucks because had he took lessons, my guess is he would have stuck around. The decision to not take lessons changed his destiny. He already dropped over a grand so why not spend a little money on education. http://www.austinabletontutor.com Tell him BobbyD from NYC sent you his way. All lessons use Adobe Connect with video conferencing and screen sharing software so Jimmy watches what you are doing. He records the lessons and sends them to you so you can view video and entire lesson at later time and move as quickly as you want during lesson. Plus he is much less than other certified instructors and can actually "teach" because not all people can use their knowledge to teach others. If you live in Austin, he runs the Ableton Users Group. Drop in and say hello. Plus he is one super cool, nice, hip, good energy person and you will enjoy working with him.

Right on with your dedication to learning and gear. :)

I know there is a lot of “I can learn everything with internet videos” going on right now, but I agree you can’t beat real time one on one instruction, preferably in person if possible or even a classroom environment, if for no other reason than there’s less distraction and you aren’t fed a lot of information you don’t need at the time like you get in videos.

Even the most focused video instructors tend to ramble through information you already know or isn’t pertinent. “I know you Massive users are used to doing…”. Is this a Massive tutorial? No, it is not. “But I digress, what I just talked about for 3 minutes isn’t what this video is about and will be covered in another video” Trim the fat and move on. FFS. :x

login

Post by login » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Following the offtopic: I also agree that education is very very important.

but I personally believe the big problem right now with people new to music making is not to learn to use a DAW but music it self. A lot of people gets inspired by some artist, they want to do it themselves and get software, synths and controllers. Once they are in front fo the computer they make a beat and then they don't know where to go because.... they don't have an idea about music.

So my advice is to invest in education but on music education, I think once you have some ideas you want tod evelop learning a DAW just becomes more easy. To me it seems very hard to learn to use a DAW if you really don't have any ideas to use it for.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:39 pm

Totally agreed, people these days have distilled music making down to learning production techniques, instead of learning... well how to make music! :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:10 pm

But in the case of EDM 90% of it is production. Take a general MIDI file from a hit EDM song and slap it in a limited sound general MIDI player and it will sound like silly garbage because the production isn’t there.

Then toss something in like an analogue keyboard and “I can’t believe how quickly my ignorant ass dialed in a great inspiring sound!” Back in my grandad’s day you had your guitar or your piano and if your song was shit it was shit. There was no producing your shit song into gold.

Oh, and there wasn’t a computer to keep you from the inconvenience of having to play your instrument. That quarter note bassline can be quite brutal to manually play at 128 BPM for more than a bar. Who has the time these days.

:) :x

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:22 pm

Fair point.