Bit the bullet and bought the Roland boutique JU-06...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
[chris b]

Re: Bit the bullet and bought the Roland boutique JU-06...

Post by [chris b] » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:26 pm

Guillermo Barrancos wrote:
Captain Johnson wrote:when they are done selling enough units of the boutique, which isn't any time soon as currently they cannot keep up with demand
No stock anywhere in the UK (that I know of.) I've got one on order but the estimated delivery gets pushed out every day.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:53 pm

Angstrom wrote: the only minor problem for people here would be that Ableton doesn't support VST3, which is what's required to run something like the Plug-out SH101, or the Plug-out System 100 or ... any future Roland Plug-out VSTs ;-)
AU works fine but VST3 you're right of course.

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:53 pm

Angstrom wrote:
Captain Johnson wrote:I'd get one but.................they are coming out as VST's! so I'll get that instead and do loads on ableton ;)
At most, in the future (when they are done selling enough units of the boutique, which isn't any time soon as currently they cannot keep up with demand), they might come out as plugouts for the Aria System-1(m), as it's based on the same hardware used for the Boutique series.
well, Plugout supports VST

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/sh-101_plug-out/
Supports Macintosh and Windows, and AU and VSTi formats
the only minor problem for people here would be that Ableton doesn't support VST3, which is what's required to run something like the Plug-out SH101, or the Plug-out System 100 or ... any future Roland Plug-out VSTs ;-)
Yeah so use the AU version :)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:17 pm

OK, great idea.
Now, can anyone help me find the AU folder on Windows 7?

I've looked everywhere and for some reason I simply can't find it. Perhaps it will be easier to find on Windows 10.
yep. :roll:

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Angstrom wrote:OK, great idea.

I've looked everywhere and for some reason I simply can't find it. Perhaps it will be easier to find on Windows 10.
Get a mac instead :P

*Edit - They're well cheap these days! 8O

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:04 pm

Captain Johnson wrote:

A brand-new well equipped MacBook Pro or a Dave Smith Sequential Prophet 6 full analog 6-voice hardware synthesizer. hmmm.....

I think I pretty much know what I would go for. :roll:

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Captain Johnson wrote:

A brand-new well equipped MacBook Pro or a Dave Smith Sequential Prophet 6 full analog 6-voice hardware synthesizer. hmmm.....

Macbook and a Korg Minilogue?

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:30 pm

Captain Johnson wrote:

The 12 inch MacBook with CoreM processor? Good luck getting anything serious done, unless you use no more than a few tracks and simplistic VST instruments.
You´d better off going for the small entry level 13inch MacBook Pro instead, as it at least comes with a Core i5 CPU with twice the clock speed.

I have 15 inch MacBook Pro with Core i7 and 512GB HD, which I bought back in 2013. For the same money I spend on that one I could now buy the Prophet 6. :roll:

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:00 pm

Captain Johnson wrote:

The 12 inch MacBook with CoreM processor? Good luck getting anything serious done, unless you use no more than a few tracks and simplistic VST instruments.
You´d better off going for the small entry level 13inch MacBook Pro instead, as it at least comes with a Core i5 CPU with twice the clock speed.

I have 15 inch MacBook Pro with Core i7 and 512GB HD, which I bought back in 2013. For the same money I spend on that one I could now buy the Prophet 6. :roll:[/quote]

Yeah but any mac helps you record your P6 work right? otherwise good luck not being able to record any of your ideas :roll: . Get a Korg minilogue anyway :p

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:14 pm

right click
Select New > Folder
Type: AU
tap the Enter key
Voilà! it's right there!

you can thank me later...

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:49 am

I just got a JU-06 and loving it as well.

Any idea what the audio input is for? As far as I can tell it's just a pass through. I connected a Volca to it and incoming audio doesn't get routed through the filter or anything like that.

I'm guessing it's just a utility thing, possibly the intent was for chaining multiple Boutique's together? Or am I missing something? The manual doesn't say much about it.

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:23 am

EasyWorkflow wrote:Awesome. I did the same. Bought my first piece of analog gear which was a tad costly and just a mono-phonic instrument even though it is considered duophonic which was a Moog sub 37. I love it. I already realized I want an analog polyphonic synth. Analog gear is a lot like potato chips. I am sure you know the punch line so no need to say it. . You have been warned. Post something on SoundCloud once you use your synth in a track.

Enjoy the Journey.
I was looking at the Moog and Korg stuff at first, but decided on polyphonic synthesizer first, which was also easier to get into and the JU-06 fitted that bill. It really is "that" easy to control. Perfect for beginners.
With the Moog and Korg stuff, you really need to already know your way into Synthesis or you just end up overwhelmed and frustrated. So didn't want to make that expensive mistake. I am looking at the Moog Mother 32 thoough, as a possible next candidate, but just awaiting more reviews and videos about it, as Moog has not delivered many yet.

I was looking at the Korg Volca Keys as well, which is also excellent for the price, but the JU-06 just blows it away when it comes to sound really.

You made an excellent point about making an expensive mistake. That's what I first thought with Ableton & Push. Never imagined I would actually learn how to use Ableton. Had the same feeling after getting the sub 37. I could dial in the coolest sounds but no clue to what I was doing. MacProVideo just put I think today out a Moog Sub 37 tutorial series of 32 videos. I watched today and the instructor made it so easy to understand, I will have the basics down quickly. Everything made complete sense. I used MacproVideo to learn Ableton and other gear & software as well. I got the $10 month deal. But you were right. Without that video I was toast.

EasyWorkflow

Post by EasyWorkflow » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:30 am

Shift Gorden wrote:Guillermo - I've been looking at the Boutique range of synths - they look really sweet - especially for the price. Would love to hear what you're doing with it! Yeah, there's something about those knobs and sliders that make for a very satisfying (and fast) programming experience!

Easy - I NEARLY got the Sub37, but I decided I wanted a poly at the last minute. And yeah - I totally get your analogy. I went crazy and bought a Sequential (Dave Smith Instruments) Prophet 6 desktop. I love it. It's pretty much my go-to for programming now. Very simple to program and sounds great. And I still want more.

It took me nearly 2 weeks to use it in a track because I'd sit down to write, and then 4 hours later I'd realize all I'd been doing was messing around on the P6!

Really interested in the Minilogue like the rest of you guys. It looks fantastic.

I have serious mental disorders, one of the many is a lust for more gear. It's not normal and need to discuss with my shrink tomorrow. I bought tre Moog Sub 37 and now all I want is the prohet 6 because I want the polyphony. I can only imagine the fun synching those two synths up. And this is coming from a guitarist. I think those two would play nicely.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:48 am

Try using the MIDI Guitar software to play the Sub37 :)

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:51 am

smutek wrote:I just got a JU-06 and loving it as well.

Any idea what the audio input is for? As far as I can tell it's just a pass through. I connected a Volca to it and incoming audio doesn't get routed through the filter or anything like that.

I'm guessing it's just a utility thing, possibly the intent was for chaining multiple Boutique's together? Or am I missing something? The manual doesn't say much about it.
Hi,

Welcome to the JU-06 Club! :)

Yes I think it's for chaining a second JU-06 together to make it 8-voice.