Bit the bullet and bought the Roland boutique JU-06...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Guillermo Barrancos

Bit the bullet and bought the Roland boutique JU-06...

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:32 pm

..... and now my software synths sound like casio toy tunes. :twisted:

Seriously, I am mighty impressed by this little beast. What a sound!
I had watched Ollilaboratories videos of the boutiques and they are by far the best ones showing the true power of these things, making me finally pull the trigger on the JU-06.
JU-06: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUgppYxfWps
JU-06 + JP-08 + JX-03: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JWxRdmEmlU

I know the boutiques got a lot of critique, but as usual on the big wide internet, most of it is unfounded and pure trolling.

For starters, not a single problem with the 1/8 output to my Focusrite 1/4 inputs. Sound quality and throughput is excellent! I had to set the ins on my focus rite at about 30-40% gain or so before it clips and then also reduce volume in Ableton quite a bit as well. That much power is coming through. Compare that to some expensive NI software synths that have crap volume throughput.

I am a complete noob when it comes to (analog) hardware synths, but the JU-06 is an excellent synth for the beginner.
First thing I did is backup the factory settings/patches to disk and started trying creating some sounds myself. Within 15-30 minutes (with no synthesis knowledge) I was able to make some impressive fat lead sounds and have already overwritten the first 3 patches with own created sounds.
The sequencer is also easy to use and pretty fun to play with... all timing up perfectly with Ableton Live.

Just barely scratched the surface and so much left to explore. Highly recommended!
For 300 bucks this thing is a steal. Excellent build quality as well.
Seriously considering buying the JP-08 later on or perhaps a second JU-06 to increase it to 8-voice polyphony.

EasyWorkflow

Re: Bit the bullet and bought the Roland boutique JU-06...

Post by EasyWorkflow » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:00 am

Awesome. I did the same. Bought my first piece of analog gear which was a tad costly and just a mono-phonic instrument even though it is considered duophonic which was a Moog sub 37. I love it. I already realized I want an analog polyphonic synth. Analog gear is a lot like potato chips. I am sure you know the punch line so no need to say it. . You have been warned. Post something on SoundCloud once you use your synth in a track.

Enjoy the Journey.

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:56 am

EasyWorkflow wrote:Awesome. I did the same. Bought my first piece of analog gear which was a tad costly and just a mono-phonic instrument even though it is considered duophonic which was a Moog sub 37. I love it. I already realized I want an analog polyphonic synth. Analog gear is a lot like potato chips. I am sure you know the punch line so no need to say it. . You have been warned. Post something on SoundCloud once you use your synth in a track.

Enjoy the Journey.
I was looking at the Moog and Korg stuff at first, but decided on polyphonic synthesizer first, which was also easier to get into and the JU-06 fitted that bill. It really is "that" easy to control. Perfect for beginners.
With the Moog and Korg stuff, you really need to already know your way into Synthesis or you just end up overwhelmed and frustrated. So didn't want to make that expensive mistake. I am looking at the Moog Mother 32 thoough, as a possible next candidate, but just awaiting more reviews and videos about it, as Moog has not delivered many yet.

I was looking at the Korg Volca Keys as well, which is also excellent for the price, but the JU-06 just blows it away when it comes to sound really.

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Korg Minilogue...ooooh.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:16 pm

The new Minilogue by Korg is true analog, and would serve as a great first analog synth from what I am reading :)

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:07 pm

sana48 wrote:The new Minilogue by Korg is true analog, and would serve as a great first analog synth from what I am reading :)
Indeed, 'true analog' as opposed to 'not analog', 'synthesized analog' or even 'analogous to analog'.
The pedants are revolting.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:53 pm

Also, Minilogue - each knob and switch on the front panel sends and recieves MIDI. Not so with Roland's mysterious microscopic efforts. I suspect that they will bring out a new version which are larger, or perhaps just provide them as plugouts for the system1.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:04 pm

Indeed, if that midi out-ness is a good as it looks that's gold right there for the money.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:43 pm

Guillermo - I've been looking at the Boutique range of synths - they look really sweet - especially for the price. Would love to hear what you're doing with it! Yeah, there's something about those knobs and sliders that make for a very satisfying (and fast) programming experience!

Easy - I NEARLY got the Sub37, but I decided I wanted a poly at the last minute. And yeah - I totally get your analogy. I went crazy and bought a Sequential (Dave Smith Instruments) Prophet 6 desktop. I love it. It's pretty much my go-to for programming now. Very simple to program and sounds great. And I still want more.

It took me nearly 2 weeks to use it in a track because I'd sit down to write, and then 4 hours later I'd realize all I'd been doing was messing around on the P6!

Really interested in the Minilogue like the rest of you guys. It looks fantastic.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:12 pm

Yeah that minilogue is looking pretty tempting!

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:39 pm

sana48 wrote:The new Minilogue by Korg is true analog, and would serve as a great first analog synth from what I am reading :)
It's also a lot bigger. It was the same With the minibrute, so this week I went for the microbrute.

I am excited about the Korg Minilogue and looking forward to when the first People get it into their hands and what they do with it.
I just don't have the room for it right now.

That's why I went for the JU-06 and now the microbrute. They are an amazing combo for me. Love the sounds I can create with these.
As a synthesis noob they are so easy to use. Really impressed so far.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:02 am

muthafunka wrote:Indeed, 'true analog' as opposed to 'not analog', 'synthesized analog' or even 'analogous to analog'.
The pedants are revolting.
:lol:

Captain Johnson

Post by Captain Johnson » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:23 pm

I'd get one but.................they are coming out as VST's! so I'll get that instead and do loads on ableton ;)

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Captain Johnson wrote:I'd get one but.................they are coming out as VST's! so I'll get that instead and do loads on ableton ;)
Oh really.... Beyond the A-01 module, I have not seen any New Roland announcement about releasing the JU-06, JX-03 and JP-08 as pure software VST's.

At most, in the future (when they are done selling enough units of the boutique, which isn't any time soon as currently they cannot keep up with demand), they might come out as plugouts for the Aria System-1(m), as it's based on the same hardware used for the Boutique series.

And I am using and controlling the JU-06 and Microbrute through Ableton and Push 2. :wink:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:11 pm

Guillermo Barrancos wrote:
Captain Johnson wrote:I'd get one but.................they are coming out as VST's! so I'll get that instead and do loads on ableton ;)
At most, in the future (when they are done selling enough units of the boutique, which isn't any time soon as currently they cannot keep up with demand), they might come out as plugouts for the Aria System-1(m), as it's based on the same hardware used for the Boutique series.
well, Plugout supports VST

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/sh-101_plug-out/
Supports Macintosh and Windows, and AU and VSTi formats
the only minor problem for people here would be that Ableton doesn't support VST3, which is what's required to run something like the Plug-out SH101, or the Plug-out System 100 or ... any future Roland Plug-out VSTs ;-)