hardware synth control of Ableton for midi

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
arlesterc

hardware synth control of Ableton for midi

Post by arlesterc » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:25 am

Here is what I am trying to do:

I create a loop on a hardware synth like the Korg Kross. I then start it looping. For example I create the notes c,e,f,g and loop them continuously on the Korg Kross. I want to then send the midi stream of that loop into Ableton. In Ableton I want to see the ongoing stream of midi notes - so I want to see on the track the full sequence of notes. So if I looped c,e,f,g 16 times my Ableton track would show 64 midi notes in a row - it would not indicate any loop/invoke the looping function in Ableton. Do you know if this will work with the Korg Kross or any other synth? If so will I have to do some tweaking of midi/clock synch?

Thanks in advance for any time you take to respond to this.

maky355

Re: hardware synth control of Ableton for midi

Post by maky355 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:41 pm

Well it seems simple (to me). If i am understanding your question.

You play your Korg Kronos. Assuming it does have midi out (i don't have it). If Korg does not have midi out for it's internal sequencer then nothing will help you. But if it does have midi out then you just have to route midi to your computer and record it inside of ableton or any other DAW really. On a quick search it seems that karma series have it: http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/karma2:rec ... sequencers but i don't know for kronos.

You just have to route it correctly. And that's it. You can then record your sequence in Ableton (and see notes in piano roll) for as much as you want/need.

Obviously to route midi to your computer/ableton you need midi interface. Standalone or one which is on your soundcard if soundcard is decent.

Maybe you should really start with basics of midi recording inside Ableton - youtube tutorials.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:38 pm

Hmmmm. So, you sequence a 4 note loop in your Korg, and want to loop that 16 times to Ableton as a MIDI sequence?

I think you're kinda going about it the wrong way. You'd want to create your loop in Ableton, and then use Ableton to trigger your Korg. So, you'd program your 4 note loop in Ableton and duplicate it 16 times so you have your clip or sequence of 64 notes.

I think that's exactly what maky355 was saying. And yup, you'd need to make sure your routing were all set up. You'd use the External Instrument instrument in Ableton and make the appropriate sections from the drop downs. You'd need to make sure your Korg can receive midi clock and midi in messages from ableton.

Finally, you'd need to route the audio from the Korg back into Ableton (I presume Ableton will be recording the audio).

arlesterc

Post by arlesterc » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:15 am

maky55:

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds good. The Kross has midi out.

Shift Gordon:
"I think you're kinda going about it the wrong way." Hmmm.
Actually you don't have any basis for saying what is the right or wrong way for me to do what I want. The fact is I don't want to do it the way you are saying. I want to do it the way I am saying I want to do it - that's why I asked the way I did. Please don't assume that I have not thought of other ways of doing it. Consciously or not, you stepped on my toes, you treated my query without any respect for my ability to figure out what I want for myself - you are not being asked to subscribe to my views or techniques. It is an endless source of annoyance to me when people's first assumption is that the person asking the question might not have thought things through before they posted. I am sorry for being harsh but it would save a lot of grief for everybody if people answered like maky55 - I get no 'why would you do that?' He may have scratched his head and muttered why anybody in their right mind would do it that way I described but if he did he kept that to himself and answered the question that was asked. You can take that as a constructive critique perhaps poorly worded or you can see it as ungratefulness for someone taking the time to try to help someone. It is something I run into constantly and I have decided to always let people know it's not appropriate to assume the poster hasn't done some due diligence before posting their question. I am not going about it the wrong way. You are going about answering the question the wrong way.

googoo

Post by googoo » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:00 pm

arlesterc..........

Shift Gorden is just trying to help - like a lot of people on this forum.

He suggested a different way of working and you shut him down.

If you want more help here then change your attitude to people "taking the time to try to help someone"

maky355

Post by maky355 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:30 pm

No problem guys. We are all friends here. I understand alsterc concern. Sometimes i feel the same. But no worries we all like to help and sometimes it's just misunderstanding.

I really don't care what youtube tutorials and kidz do. I like to do my own way and when it comes to creativity there is no right or wrong way ofr individual. Do as it fit you. So i understand what he asked and i am not going to say him that he is wrong.

Example: i am programming my own Lemur sequencer to be used with Ableton and Cubase because i am not satisfied with internal tools (mainly xoxo sequencing and randomization/articulation of it-cubase is better there though).

If Kronos have midi out i think it's just matter of correct routing. You don't really need to use External instrument device as suggested but you can. Simple midi channel should do the trick. I did something like you want with Yamaha RS7000 with ease.

Good luck

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:45 pm

arlesterc wrote:maky55:

Shift Gordon:
Actually you don't have any basis for saying what is the right or wrong way for me to do what I want. The fact is I don't want to do it the way you are saying. I want to do it the way I am saying I want to do it - that's why I asked the way I did. Please don't assume that I have not thought of other ways of doing it. Consciously or not, you stepped on my toes, you treated my query without any respect for my ability to figure out what I want for myself - you are not being asked to subscribe to my views or techniques. It is an endless source of annoyance to me when people's first assumption is that the person asking the question might not have thought things through before they posted. I am sorry for being harsh but it would save a lot of grief for everybody if people answered like maky55 - I get no 'why would you do that?' He may have scratched his head and muttered why anybody in their right mind would do it that way I described but if he did he kept that to himself and answered the question that was asked. You can take that as a constructive critique perhaps poorly worded or you can see it as ungratefulness for someone taking the time to try to help someone. It is something I run into constantly and I have decided to always let people know it's not appropriate to assume the poster hasn't done some due diligence before posting their question. I am not going about it the wrong way. You are going about answering the question the wrong way.
:lol:

Let he who doesn’t assume cast the first assumption.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:02 pm

beats me wrote:
arlesterc wrote:maky55:

Shift Gordon:
:lol:

Let he who doesn’t assume cast the first assumption.
Hey, what exactly are you assuming, buddy! :lol:

Sorry arleserc - didn't mean to step on your toes, just trying to help mate.