Live as a drummer in a band

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ensoniq

Live as a drummer in a band

Post by ensoniq » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:47 pm

our band has been using a keyboard with arpeggios and arranger keyboard fro drums.

we recently got ableton live. and wanna use it as a drum machine. live sounding drums. no electronic type drums.

we mostly play soft rock, country, ballads etc.

are there sets available to buy with drum patterns for verse, chorus, fill-in etc ?

whats the best option? besides pre-programming drums ourselfs ?

ensoniq

Re: Live as a drummer in a band

Post by ensoniq » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:13 am

Any drum loops packs out there with verse, chorus fill etc for different loop set ? Or anything like this ?

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:07 am

ensoniq wrote:Any drum loops packs out there with verse, chorus fill etc for different loop set ? Or anything like this ?
Yep, definitely. Where have you looked?

How about Big Fish Audio?

Or this?

Most of them should come with verse, chorus, fill, etc.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:54 pm

For a third party plugin expenditure option check out Addictive Drums

http://www.xlnaudio.com/addictivedrums

Great sounding drums with genre specific add-ons available. It also comes with MIDI patterns that include the typical song parts (verse, bridge, chorus, fills) you can drag into Live for arrangement or pattern editing.

Also maybe check out Splice Sound. Massive sample and loop database that you can download 100 samples a month for $7.99. Just type what you are looking for in the search.

https://splice.com/sounds/catalog

ensoniq

Post by ensoniq » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:05 pm

I was trying to stay away from big sample libraries like XLN addictive drums or EZ drummer. because they take few sec to load. if it crashes than the re-load time will take up some time.
tried to stay strictly with audio.
but i can export them later to audio and set to audio loops right?

ok will check them out.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:13 pm

Yeah, you can flatten to audio. I believe Addictive Drums has a full demo that doesn’t expire or add any weirdness but it doesn’t include all the drums, possibly just kick, snare, and hat. But that should give you a good idea of how it works.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:41 am

ensoniq wrote:our band has been using a keyboard with arpeggios and arranger keyboard fro drums.

we recently got ableton live. and wanna use it as a drum machine. live sounding drums. no electronic type drums.

we mostly play soft rock, country, ballads etc.

are there sets available to buy with drum patterns for verse, chorus, fill-in etc ?

whats the best option? besides pre-programming drums ourselfs ?
I don't know about best, but Loop Loft seem to have some great libraries, one-shots as well as MIDI files from nice drummers I like in sort of that genre, though I haven't bought any. I don't use sample libraries in the fashion you describe nor have a I ever evaluated those kind of drums.

Loop Loft is the only place where I've purchased sample libraries lately. Personally I mostly prefer programming or recording drums as audio or via MIDI (or both).

I do think something like Addictive Drums, maybe Melda MDrummer and so on might work out better as you seem to be able to process sounds just as real ones quite easily (at least in AD) as well as having a good pattern library to start out with.

Please note these are just references and not recommendations at all. This subject is somewhat outside what I'm interested in so take it as the untested info it is.
Make some music!

ensoniq

Post by ensoniq » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:21 am

what about drum core ?

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:24 am

EW Pro Drummer is by far the best Drummer program on the market as far as I'm concerned.
http://www.soundsonline.com/prodrummer

This is an advanced product for advanced users, but once you get over the learning curve, you can make clips and sections and tone your kit as you please, thousands of MIDI files included too!

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:27 am

Lots of good ideas here. I'll tell you what I've been doing...

I'm using Native Instruments Abbey Road Drums, ToonTrack EZPlayer Pro, and ToonTrack MIDI packs.

Basically, I load MIDI clips into EZPlayer Pro and route the MIDI into Abbey Road Drums. You can always bounce your final drum track if the CPU is to heavy. But what I've found with this method is the amount of control and the quality of the playing and sound is amazing. It's like having a pro session drummer come in and do the drum tracks. You could just stick with ToonTrack and use Superior Drummer, but I like how AR sounds better. You can use acoustic drum audio loops of course, but it really depends on how precise you need your drums to be for the sound. Check out ToonTrack's website, you can see what I have a hard time explaining.