fuller sounding synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CNVKT

fuller sounding synths

Post by CNVKT » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:29 am

so i have a track in progress and I'm wanting a part of the track to sound more full. I'm using one synth but it doesn't seem like enough of the sound I'm wanting. I've looked into stereo widening or simply adjusting the volume but are there other ways to fix my dilemma. maybe add another synth or something? thanks guys

Dingo20

Re: fuller sounding synths

Post by Dingo20 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:51 am

CNVKT wrote:so i have a track in progress and I'm wanting a part of the track to sound more full. I'm using one synth but it doesn't seem like enough of the sound I'm wanting. I've looked into stereo widening or simply adjusting the volume but are there other ways to fix my dilemma. maybe add another synth or something? thanks guys

You could always layer synths using an instrument rack...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:09 am

Widening can often make things sound thinner, not fuller. EQ boost around 400-800Hz might bring back more of the lower mids where the weight and warmth in a lot of songs is, as can come gentle parallel compression.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:54 am

CNVKT wrote:so i have a track in progress and I'm wanting a part of the track to sound more full. I'm using one synth but it doesn't seem like enough of the sound I'm wanting. I've looked into stereo widening or simply adjusting the volume but are there other ways to fix my dilemma. maybe add another synth or something? thanks guys
Whether you want to use the Live synths, third party plug-ins or external synths, you can use layering in Instrument racks as Dingo20 noted. Just watch out for phase cancelations and adjust EQ as needed in the layered chains.

Another way would be to use additional oscillators/operators and detune a few of them somewhat. If you're out of oscillators already you can use the rack solution with the same synth and patch in a new chain and detune this.

Also investigate Saturator and EQ adjustments with EQ8.
Make some music!

Division Monarchy

Post by Division Monarchy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:19 am

One thing I recently discovered was the magic of Waves channel strips. I really hate how the Analog device sounds, but combined with a TG12345 plugin it sounds much fuller. Only drawback is the CPU.

dubxile

Post by dubxile » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:14 pm

you could just parallel process several effects to create a wider sound with movement.
here's an example that i threw together( it not perfect but will give you an idea what you can do with just native devices.
just grab a analog and place this effects rack after it

https://mega.nz/#!D1oxUBQK!1jXGXAm4xvT5 ... M7kH_naneo