Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ZzZzareh

Post by ZzZzareh » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:54 am

Last edited by ZzZzareh on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smutek

Re: How to create long lasting sound?

Post by smutek » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:47 am

For an ever lasting sound, set your sample to loop and don't turn your computer off.

If it's a synth, turn sustain, decay and release all the way up and lay a brick on your keyboard. You also want to leave your computer on for this. Don't move the brick.

You could use tape, but as the years wear on the tape will likely start to lose it's adhesive properties, you don't want to be like 12 years in and the tape gives way while your out for lunch one day.

You want a solid computer that's going to last. I'd suggest a Power Mac G5. I have one that's been running pretty much non-stop since 2005. Well, My mom has it now, but she never turns it off either.

You could argue that you can't turn the speakers off either, but that's kind of getting into the "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it" argument. I think that's open to artistic interpretation. Your call.

Maybe some sort of generator back up too? Just make sure to pay your electricity bill!

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:48 pm

I'm so glad I woke to this thread. A great question answered by greatness alike.

tedlogan

Post by tedlogan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:56 pm

:lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:33 pm

Great tips Smu! I’d like to add that I keep my everlasting sound computer in a fusion powered capsule embedded in 7 meters of concrete buried in an undisclosed mountain in Wyoming. I can’t take credit for that tip. I got it from Diplo.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:22 pm

:lol:

Maybe the OP can give a little more info about what they are looking for too?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:39 pm

Just follow Cage's lead:
Organ²/ASLSP (As SLow aS Possible) is a musical piece by John Cage and the subject of one of the longest-lasting musical performances yet undertaken. It was originally written in 1987 for organ and is adapted from the earlier work ASLSP 1985; a typical performance of the piano version lasts 20 to 70 minutes. In 1985, Cage opted to omit the detail of exactly how slowly the piece should be played.

The performance of the organ version at St. Burchardi church in Halberstadt, Germany, began in 2001 and is scheduled to have a duration of 639 years, ending in 2640.
Unsound Designer

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Leaving the music for generations to come.

Alchemystic

Post by Alchemystic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Epic answers.... :lol:

For just capturing little chunks of things and extending them...Is OP aware of the freeze function of Live's reverb/ping pong delay, or turning up feedback all the way with a simple/grain delay, or the repeat function in beat repeat, perhaps using a compressor to extend the delay tail longer if need be? And there's looper tho I've never really used it myself.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:40 am

beats me wrote:I can’t take credit for that tip. I got it from Diplo.
:D :D

Ubik

Post by Ubik » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:55 pm

For an ever lasting sound, set your sample to loop and don't turn your computer off.

If it's a synth, turn sustain, decay and release all the way up and lay a brick on your keyboard. You also want to leave your computer on for this. Don't move the brick.

You could use tape, but as the years wear on the tape will likely start to lose it's adhesive properties, you don't want to be like 12 years in and the tape gives way while your out for lunch one day.

You want a solid computer that's going to last. I'd suggest a Power Mac G5. I have one that's been running pretty much non-stop since 2005. Well, My mom has it now, but she never turns it off either.

You could argue that you can't turn the speakers off either, but that's kind of getting into the "If a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it" argument. I think that's open to artistic interpretation. Your call.

Maybe some sort of generator back up too? Just make sure to pay your electricity bill!
:D Made my day!

If you want to hold a note/chord, you can do it like that :
Just make sure that the note is stretching beyond the loop braces