Ableton Live Lite 9 help, session view scene launching,

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
flevo

Ableton Live Lite 9 help, session view scene launching,

Post by flevo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:03 pm

Hi everyone

i hope someone can help me out, i have a session in Ableton lIve Lite 9 in arrangement view, i set my locators for the intro, verse, chorus, etc, i copy each section to the clips in session view. when i play the first clip it stops at the end. i go into clip inspector and turn on follow action to the number of bars for the intro. when it gets to the end it doesn't repeat or go to the next clip smoothly. sometimes it doesn't play the whole intro clip to the end. im wondering what am i doing wrong

S4racen

Re: Ableton Live Lite 9 help, session view scene launching,

Post by S4racen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:19 pm

Playing arrangement view and expecting it to work like session is where you e gone,wrong...

Time to the manual....

Cheers
D

flevo

Post by flevo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:25 pm

interesting thought, i heard from some friends that it would work in both instances, I'm checking the manual out now. i followed some youtube videos about but it still not working for me

Alchemystic

Post by Alchemystic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:42 pm

Youtube tuts are your friend - probably something to do with your clip quantization and/or setup of follow actions.

flevo

Post by flevo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:00 pm

im thinking its the quantization the clips, ill check later on to see if they clips are lined up all the to the grid. that may be that issue as well

Alchemystic

Post by Alchemystic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:18 pm

I'm talking about the clip quantization or global which is in the launch section of the clip detail view, not necessarily the quantization of the audio to the grid. I don't think that would cause your clips not to play.

How did you setup the follow actions? Can you share a screenshot of the clip detail view?

flevo

Post by flevo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:50 pm

how do you upload photos from the hard drive here

Alchemystic

Post by Alchemystic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Use an image hosting website like imgur, upload there, then insert using the "Img" button

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Follow Actions don't work in Arrange mode, they'll only play as you've drawn them out...

Cheers
D

flevo

Post by flevo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:09 pm

here is what i see

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:21 pm

The clips are not warped. So Live doesn't know where the bars are or how many bars there are. Like, when you put stuff in there, Live can't magically guess how to do everything.

That actually looks like a very difficult project if you are not familiar with Live.

You might want to find someone to hang out with that'll help you in person, or maybe experiment with some other projects.

If you're determined to do this one, you'll need the song to be warped.

Or you can just let the whole song play in arrangement view on its own and play along to it.

flevo

Post by flevo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:27 pm

aha the great warp...the were loops that i pulled in from my desktop, i currently have auto warp long samples off. so how do i warp each track to be in sync with live? do i warp in arrangement view first then chop up my clips my put them into session view? Or, can i warp them now since i have my locators already set. your response make sense as ableton didnt auto warp the tracks. can you provide the proper way to warp all the files in this scenario. i eventually want to play the clips in session view using follow actions while muting out what i dont need for live performances

Alchemystic

Post by Alchemystic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:38 pm

:) This video from Thavius Beck is a great place to start: https://youtu.be/mniqlV2VKA4

In general, you want to keep the auto warp feature off for long samples because otherwise Ableton will drop in a whole bunch of warp markers that you don't need. There's several other videos on warping audio out there, different people have different approaches so watch some different tuts and play around with different approaches until you find what works for you.

If you want to go straight to playing around with follow actions in scenes, then you just need to get chuck some warped loops into your session view. There some default loops you can find in the Ableton browser that will fit the bill if you just want to get a feel for that part of using Ableton. But if you want to use your tracks you will have to manually warp them before you slice them up. You can do the warping in the session view, too.

Here's another really handy video I found recently about making clip packs (which sounds like what you're going to want to do if your goal is to convert songs from your laptop into DJ-able packs of loops, you just need to actually warp the audio first) https://youtu.be/_old-2RWQJ8?list=PLYSE ... rdwQDTVEYG

flevo

Post by flevo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:55 pm

Thank you so much for the info, i have to get good at warping. question? can i warp all the tracks at one time in arrangement view before slicing them up. or is it best to bring in the tracks one by one and warp them.

Alchemystic

Post by Alchemystic » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:00 pm

It looks like from your screenshots that you got those tracks from a remix pack? If so I would guess they may already be warped/lined up. In that case you probably just need to select all the clips, go to the clip detail view screen, and highlight the "warp" button and it should be pretty spot on. You might wanna get the session bpm close to the track bpm first tho (not sure about that I don't do much of this kind of stuff with Ableton).

Anyway, once you have warped tracks, you'd also need to slice them into sections of the appropriate length. The fastest way to do this with multiple tracks that are all lined up in arrangement mode the way you want them to play is to set the loop bar to the length you want - say 4 bars for this example, then slice the audio using cmd + E (Mac) or ctrl + E (PC). This will cut your track into a segment of 4 bars, with a start/stop marker over the selected range, but the loop bar within the clip won't be turned on. If you bring up the context menu on any of the clips while you have the (arrangement view) loop bar selected, you will be given the option to "Consolidate to New Scene". If you select this is will automatically transfer the selected/sliced clips on all the tracks together into new scene in session view, with their clip loop bars turned on. (It will also crop the clips too so you'll just be left with the 4 bar loop for that section in your session view clip - it won't crop the arrangement view clip however).

Here's an example of what this looks like: Image