Mic Signal Passes Through Even When Track Is Muted

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djorno

Mic Signal Passes Through Even When Track Is Muted

Post by djorno » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:59 pm

So I've noticed an issue which wasn't popping up before.

Basically, I've got a track with my external mic being routed into it, but whenever I attempt to mute the track, the mic is still being picked up and played through the Master Track. I've checked all my other routing, and I don't see signals anywhere else which would be picking up the mic and causing this. It's almost like it's a double signal sort of thing, because when I apply FX to the mic track, I hear the effects as one would expect, but the dry mic signal still plays overtop. I've checked my interface, and it's set up properly. I've played with all the monitor in, auto, off settings, and they don't make a difference. It just seems like by virtue of having a mic plugged in, it always picks up the dry mic signal and sends it to master.

I can't figure it out and it's really slowing me down in terms of getting my performance rig together. Any help would be appreciated.

fishmonkey

Re: Mic Signal Passes Through Even When Track Is Muted

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:13 am

my first guess would be you have direct monitoring turned on in your audio interface. what kind of interface is it?

if you mute the Live master, can you still hear the mic?

djorno

Post by djorno » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:50 pm

So there's no direct monitoring involved. I even tried deleting the track which had my mic input on it altogether, and no matter what I do the mic signal passes through to the Master track. If I turn off the Master track, or adjust the volume, the signal goes away...

I started up a fresh set and tried setting up a mic channel, and it functioned as expected, but I really have put a lot of work into the other template and so don't want to have to start from scratch.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:21 am

are you sure you don't have a send feeding a return track?

djorno

Post by djorno » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:15 am

THANK YOU. I didn't even think to check my sends/returns as I don't normally use them in my template, but I added a module which does use them and therein lies the problem. It was tucked away and outta view, but this oughta take care of the issue!

Saxysoul84

Post by Saxysoul84 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:24 pm

Where do you go for send/returns what do you have to do? I’m new to all this and my mic is still having signal even when I mute it. I don’t want to bring down the gain on my interface everytime I don’t use it.