Rogue Amoeba Loopback (OS X only)...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fishmonkey

Rogue Amoeba Loopback (OS X only)...

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:19 am

has anyone taken this for a spin yet?

https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/

Machinesworking

Re: Rogue Amoeba Loopback (OS X only)...

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:03 pm

I've owned Audio HiJack forever, great program, but I have to say this is disappointing. Rogue Amoeba took over "stewardship" of of the free audio routing app Soundflower not too long ago from Cycling 74, then release basically a paid version of Soundflower. :x I think they got a bit greedy with the price considering their access to another companies code.

I'm sure it works great, Soundflower when it was being updated worked great.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:00 pm

yeah, i think the price is too steep.

Dante Via is an alternative, depending on what kind of functionality you need...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:47 pm

fishmonkey wrote:yeah, i think the price is too steep.

Dante Via is an alternative, depending on what kind of functionality you need...
Looking at Dante Via is there anything it can't do that Loopback can? Because right off, Via is cross platform, which is a huge bonus.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:18 am

Loopback is much more flexible, as you can create multiple virtual audio devices. inter-application routing in Dante Via is much more limited.

on the other hand Dante is a pro-level network interconnect system used in a lot of devices and venues.

Rogue Amoeba is a good dev, however they are firmly in the consumer audio camp. a while back i ran into a brick wall trying to find out what SRC algorithm they use in their Fission audio editor. they said it is a custom one that they designed and that it hasn't been compared with other algorithms. which is a bit strange really. who would design a custom SRC algorithm and not compare it with existing ones? makes no sense.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:22 am

Agreed, Fission feature wise is hellishly consumer market oriented. Love Audio Highjack though, great program, zero issues.

Two track editor wise I use DSP Quattro and hope that version 4 improves some minor issues I have with it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:51 am

LFO8 wrote: Pricing is also competitive. Loopback is $75,- intro price. Sure, Soundflower was free. But for 75,- you get a stable product with free updates and support for the future. With Soundflower could be a bit iffy; "Here is the latest version, remember this is free and open source, so if it f*cks your system; your own risk"
Not wanting to argue, but I paid for at least three upgrades for audio Hijack over the years. Granted I've owned Audio Highjack forever, just saying free updates is stretching it.

I was never a daily or even monthly user of Soundflower, but when I did it just worked, until Cycling abandoned it. It's just disappointing to pay that much for a program I don't use that often, especially when Audio Hijack was a whopping $19 when it came out, and they wrote all the code themselves with no semi open source code in their stewardship to examine.

When Audiophile Engineering came out with their two track editor they thought it was so great they tried charging $249 for it, it's $79 now, just saying.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:01 pm

LFO8 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Not wanting to argue, but I paid for at least three upgrades for audio Hijack over the years. Granted I've owned Audio Highjack forever, just saying free updates is stretching it.
I think we can agree on the fact that Updates are a bit different from Upgrades. ;)
Sure, why mention updates as being free then? What company makes you pay for updates?
I had to assume you were confusing the two, because mentioning updates being free as a good reason for a high price on a previously free application is kinda whack.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:02 am

LFO8 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Sure, why mention updates as being free then? What company makes you pay for updates?
Waves for one. And I was not implying that the price for the Loopback app is high. On the contrary.
Waves may be the only one, you're talking in circles here. Nobody could possibly think you think the price is too high, you're using nonsense stats like "free updates" as proof of the value offered.

I like Rogue Amoeba but this was as stupid of a pricing move IMO as Audiophile trying to sell their editor for $249. I had no problem telling Audiophile Engineering that when they announced it, and no problem telling Rogue the same. I think more people should be proactive about this sort of thing, especially when a company takes over free code, then raises the price to twice what the competition charges.

At $25-50 Rogue would literally have the entire audio community, hobbyist and professional alike on board, at $75-100 they cut 90% off of sales I would bet; they're literally cutting their own throats with their pricing.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:04 am

LFO8 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:It's just disappointing to pay that much for a program I don't use that often.
Alright then, no worries. No one is forcing Loopback on you. Keep using Soundflower then for those rare times you use a program such as this. It's still available here: https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower
Just for search engines sake, since you missed what was said about Soundflower earlier. Soundflower pretty much doesn't work on anybodies system anymore, Jack OSX is working if you get the latest beta's.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:34 am

LFO8 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Sure, why mention updates as being free then? What company makes you pay for updates?
Waves for one. And I was not implying that the price for the Loopback app is high. On the contrary.
I think the price for Loopback is high, but if it's great then why not?

Side-note: You're not updated. Waves do not make you pay for updates. Major updates possibly, but typically many makers do that. The update plan is about resale permission, major updates and ongoing support (though support hinted to me I can always call them, hmmm), not incremental updates.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:39 am

fishmonkey wrote:inter-application routing in Dante Via is much more limited.
Audinate has been very clear to me in email communication that Dante Via only do stereo signals to any application on other machines, not within the same computer. Both the few channels — I was hoping for 16 — and no internal signal rerouting was a big let down for me.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:14 am

Stromkraft wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:inter-application routing in Dante Via is much more limited.
Audient has been very clear to me in email communication that Dante Via only do stereo signals to any application on other machines, not within the same computer. Both the few channels — I was hoping for 16 — and no internal signal rerouting was a big let down for me.
i trialed Dante Via. you can connect to applications on the same computer, but the routing is relatively limited. you can patch inputs to a single aggregated Dante Via virtual device, which other applications can then use as an input. Loopback supports multiple virtual devices.

the big upside of Dante Via is being able to seamlessly connect in a Dante-based environment.

btw, the company is Audinate...

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:14 am

Don't forget the great and free Soundflower.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:07 am

[jur] wrote:Don't forget the great and free Soundflower.
It's dead. Has not been updated in years, works on very few systems anymore, and was last under Rogue Amebas stewardship.