Rogue Amoeba Loopback (OS X only)...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Stromkraft

Re: Rogue Amoeba Loopback (OS X only)...

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:34 am

LFO8 wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Sure, why mention updates as being free then? What company makes you pay for updates?
Waves for one. And I was not implying that the price for the Loopback app is high. On the contrary.
I think the price for Loopback is high, but if it's great then why not?

Side-note: You're not updated. Waves do not make you pay for updates. Major updates possibly, but typically many makers do that. The update plan is about resale permission, major updates and ongoing support (though support hinted to me I can always call them, hmmm), not incremental updates.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:39 am

fishmonkey wrote:inter-application routing in Dante Via is much more limited.
Audinate has been very clear to me in email communication that Dante Via only do stereo signals to any application on other machines, not within the same computer. Both the few channels — I was hoping for 16 — and no internal signal rerouting was a big let down for me.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:14 am

Stromkraft wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:inter-application routing in Dante Via is much more limited.
Audient has been very clear to me in email communication that Dante Via only do stereo signals to any application on other machines, not within the same computer. Both the few channels — I was hoping for 16 — and no internal signal rerouting was a big let down for me.
i trialed Dante Via. you can connect to applications on the same computer, but the routing is relatively limited. you can patch inputs to a single aggregated Dante Via virtual device, which other applications can then use as an input. Loopback supports multiple virtual devices.

the big upside of Dante Via is being able to seamlessly connect in a Dante-based environment.

btw, the company is Audinate...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:14 am

Don't forget the great and free Soundflower.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:07 am

[jur] wrote:Don't forget the great and free Soundflower.
It's dead. Has not been updated in years, works on very few systems anymore, and was last under Rogue Amebas stewardship.

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:38 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
It's dead. Has not been updated in years, works on very few systems anymore, and was last under Rogue Amebas stewardship.
Working fine here on el capitan.
Ableton Forum Moderator

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:43 pm

[jur] wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
Working fine here on el capitan.
Exact version and source? Tried it last release and multiple unofficial releases on Mavericks and never worked. At all. Getting a copy of Soundflowerbed running and connecting was particularly picky.

Also, in my experience Soundflower is typically associated with distortion. I don't mean in one case. I've encountered that in more than 10 setups all since Snow Leopard when doing broadcasts. It seemed to work for a long time and then, total mayhem and a need to restart. It didn't help this was on the broadcast output only, so you didn't notice the problem on the monitor channels. You don't want this when performing.

It does seem it works for some people, but it's quite unclear why it does in some cases and not at all or badly in others. I suppose it could be audio interface interplay or something like that.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:46 pm

fishmonkey wrote:
btw, the company is Audinate...
OK. I have no idea why their sales team would skew the actual possibilities. Quite strange actually.
Make some music!

braduro

Post by braduro » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:49 pm

I'd gladly offer rogue amoeba my patronage if I could figure out what one app did vs another and why I need it. Have Hijack, and I still haven't upgraded, despite the promo price. Hijack is about recording anything from any source. Loopback is about routing from anywhere to any output (or aggregate output. Expose: Audio-Midi Setup). It just feels like nickel and diming. Then another streams from a private or public address, and another app wirelessly mirrors from any source (apple TV, Chromecast). It's like splitting hairs.

And why break or abandon soundflower or some universally accepted protocol and standard to get on board for a proprietary solution?

And fission; non degradive edits in MP3's interesting. Fumbling about with garageband-like editing tools. Not so much. Not to mention, I have no idea why one would suggest that Fission "complements" Hijack. It's an editor. Where's the tight integration? Okay, maybe there's some round-trip button? But why Fission? Where does Hijack workflow leave off that Fission, specifically, takes over? Publishing? Converting? Batch processing? If they were so perfect together and it was obvious why, than give me an add-on price for the two together.

If they had a bundle price, I'd probably throw the whole shebang in a cart and make odds and ends of it after the fact. Or if they were on the iTunes app store and my updates and registration were all tucked away. But there's no economy of scale, rarely offer sales with new releases, and their price points are bazaar to me.
Last edited by braduro on Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:14 am

braduro wrote:I'd gladly offer rogue amoeba my patronage if I could figure out what one app did vs another and why I need it. Have Hijack, and I still haven't upgraded, despite the promo price. Hijack is about recording anything from any source. Loopback is about routing from anywhere to any output (or aggregate output. Expose: Audio-Midi Setup). It just feels like nickel and diming. Then another streams from a private or public address, and another app wirelessly mirrors from any source (apple TV, Chromecast).

And why break or abandon soundflower or some universally accepted protocol and standard to get on board for a proprietary solution?

And fission; non degradive edits in MP3's interesting. Fumbling about with garageband-like editing tools. Not so much. Not to mention, I have no idea why one would suggest that Fission "complements" Hijack. It's an editor. Where's the tight integration? Okay, maybe there's some round-trip button? But why Fission? Where does Hijack workflow leave off that Fission, specifically, takes over? Publishing? Converting? Batch processing? If they were so perfect together and it was obvious why, than give me an add-on price for the two together.

If they had a bundle price, I'd probably throw the whole shebang in a cart and make odds and ends of it after the fact. Or if they were on the iTunes app store and my updates and registration were all tucked away. But there's no economy of scale, rarely offer sales with new releases, and their price points are bazaar to me.
Agree, it would be cool if it felt like they were making an ecosystem of parts that fit together more than one of similar parts.

Also I mean no disrespect, but taking over stewardship of Soundflower then doing nothing with it, then releasing a replacement that costs $100 is going to look weird no matter how you play it out. They swear no code is shared, but if what they say is true, and they were developing Loopback before they took stewardship, they in my opinion should never have taken over stewardship of Soundflower in the first place. I think they thought with a developers mindset there instead of as businessmen. i.e. they could look at this open source code and get ideas on what they were doing right or wrong, but they never thought about how that would play out for users of Soundflower??