Make position in MIDI note editor mirror arrangement?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EarHax

Make position in MIDI note editor mirror arrangement?

Post by EarHax » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:42 am

Is there a way to position the play cursor/insertion point in the arrangement view and have the MIDI note editor view also place it's selection/insertion point in the same spot in the clip you are viewing? I am trying to match up MIDI notes to timing of audio on a track but the process is really tedious. There must be something I am missing. If the two were both sharing the same insertion point/selection, it would make it a lot easier to position the cursor at the start of an audio event, arrow down to the MIDI clip, then jump into the MIDI editor and paste a note there.

Also, being able to do the same with audio clip position, and the inverse (making arrangement cursor/selection match the cursor/selection position in the editor view for audio or MIDI) would be super helpful.

zeropoint

Re: Make position in MIDI note editor mirror arrangement?

Post by zeropoint » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:58 am

Agree. It would make sense.

I don't know the nature of the material you're dealing with but have you thought of extracting the groove from the audio and then dragging the groove file back into an empty midi track underneath the audio clip ? Depending on the material it will give you a big head start on positioning notes on transients which you can then fine tune.
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

EarHax

Post by EarHax » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:10 am

zeropoint wrote:Agree. It would make sense.

I don't know the nature of the material you're dealing with but have you thought of extracting the groove from the audio and then dragging the groove file back into an empty midi track underneath the audio clip ? Depending on the material it will give you a big head start on positioning notes on transients which you can then fine tune.
That might be useful if it were a drum beat or something with sharp transients. However this wouldn't work so well for the material I am using. But I did discover a technique that will work for this particular instance. basically I just split the audio into clips, position to play cursor at the start of the clip, hold down a note on the MIDI keyboard, and hit f9 to record. Then the MIDI note will start precisely where the audio clip does.

It would still be really nice to have the ability to mirror the play position between the MIDI/clip editor and the arrangement view. Hopefully someone may know of a way to do this, or it will be a feature in a future release.

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:10 pm

Do you listen to the file before editing ? If so you could midi map the set locator button and the arrows to either side. Drop the locators as you're listening to the file. Set to the first locator, hold midi note, record. Jump to next locator, rinse, repeat.

This would save you chopping the file and a bit of mousing around. Again might not work for your material but just putting it out there.
MacBook Pro M1, 16GB Ram, 1TB.

EarHax

Post by EarHax » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:42 pm

zeropoint wrote:Do you listen to the file before editing ? If so you could midi map the set locator button and the arrows to either side. Drop the locators as you're listening to the file. Set to the first locator, hold midi note, record. Jump to next locator, rinse, repeat.

This would save you chopping the file and a bit of mousing around. Again might not work for your material but just putting it out there.
The locator idea will come in handy. For now the audio is all separate clips, so I can just option+right arrow to move through them and do the MIDI note record thing.