Garageband IOS goes Ableton/Novation Launchpad style!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

oblique strategies

Re: Garageband IOS goes Ableton/Novation Launchpad style!

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:29 pm

Cool this is! :mrgreen:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:43 pm

I can only assume this is a testing ground to be added to Logic at a later date. They also updated the Logic Remote iOS app yesterday so that it's now available on the iPhone and displays more tracks on the iPad Pro instead of just upscaling. Imagine when this new grid feature becomes part of the Logic Remote app. 8O

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:58 pm

It looks cool, but the first thing I thought of was this -

All this cool shit, why can't they clean up this damned shameful ass dialog box? Or, imagine, a simple per channel drop down for midi routing! It would be cool to not have to break out a camera and a macro lens to route midi.

:x

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:27 pm

I don't know what that dialogue box is and I don't want to know. Not knowing it hasn't held back my music to date. :x

Played with the demo songs a bit. One of the loops played in reverse. 8O Can Live do that?

Also the global effects manipulation window is a nice touch. :)

Don't know how the file management works but when it comes to Logic (I hope) I imagine you'll have access to the live loops in the project and also as part of your total live loop library...all tagged for easy access. :)

If they make this part of yet another free new feature packed update to Logic I'm wondering what features would make Apple think they should dub it "11" and charge for it.

But there's also speculation that Apple will turn the industry on its head again by stopping with the version numbers on their software and OSs and just release new features without all the fanfare and emotional anticipation that a new version number causes. Just sporadic new exciting features for free.

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:56 pm

beats me wrote:I don't know what that dialogue box is and I don't want to know. Not knowing it hasn't held back my music to date. :x

Oh, yeah, it's for midi routing. I'd never seen it before either until I got a BeatStep Pro. BeatStep pro has 3 sequencers. So if I'm sending midi from the BSP on, for example, CH 1, 2, and 10 to 3 separate instruments / tracks in Logic.... that dialog box, plus about 5 or so more steps, is the Logic equivalent to Live's I-O routing section.

:x

Anyway, yeah... sorry for the thread derail!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:44 pm

Welcome to Logic's Environment, there's a ton more windows like that buried inside. :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:23 pm

I’ve only seen videos featuring Logic’s Environment, went “Gross, Reaktor the DAW!!”, and quickly closed the browser. :x