Offsetting a looped midi clip's start point

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
JohnnyIndia

Offsetting a looped midi clip's start point

Post by JohnnyIndia » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:21 pm

When looping audio clips in session view, I can use the loop start and end markers to offset the loop start point/end point for parts that come in on upbeats (or any beat of the measure not on the 1) With midi clips however, this offsetting approach doesn't work since for a midi note to play a softsynth, it needs to trigger the synth from the start of the midi event (so offsetting the loop start point to the middle of a midi note produces no sound)....the only solution I can think of is for midi clips that need loop offsets, to draw incredibly long clips and not have them as loops (so if the part might loop for 10 minutes, I would have to draw in (copy/paste) hundreds of bars of midi rather than loop a smaller number of bars of a repeating pattern.

Any other workarounds or suggestions to loop midi clips that require loop start/endpoint offsets?

Davo

Re: Offsetting a looped midi clip's start point

Post by Davo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:58 pm

Set the start point where the note starts, set the loop start just after that and the loop end before the note end. That gives a never-ending note ( if that's what you want).

miekwave

Re: Offsetting a looped midi clip's start point

Post by miekwave » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:36 am

JohnnyIndia wrote:When looping audio clips in session view, I can use the loop start and end markers to offset the loop start point/end point for parts that come in on upbeats (or any beat of the measure not on the 1) With midi clips however, this offsetting approach doesn't work since for a midi note to play a softsynth, it needs to trigger the synth from the start of the midi event (so offsetting the loop start point to the middle of a midi note produces no sound)....the only solution I can think of is for midi clips that need loop offsets, to draw incredibly long clips and not have them as loops (so if the part might loop for 10 minutes, I would have to draw in (copy/paste) hundreds of bars of midi rather than loop a smaller number of bars of a repeating pattern.

Any other workarounds or suggestions to loop midi clips that require loop start/endpoint offsets?
Johnny, can you post an image of what you are trying to accomplish?

for example
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage