Recording mic, sound becomes distorted

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
megilll

Recording mic, sound becomes distorted

Post by megilll » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:43 pm

Hello,

I am trying to record with a microphone (Thomann SC 400) via a soundboard with a chinch cable into the microphone slot in the computer (not ideal, but it works). I have managed to compensate the latency so that the recordings always start at the right times, what I have not been able to figure out is why after about 5 seconds of recording the sound becomes distorted and fades away. This only happens with continuous sound, so that repeated notes with spaces between them are fine, however a long sung note for example is not. Taking this example, a legato melody (with no gaps in sound) fades away after 5 seconds, as soon as there is a break in sound the recording is fine again, until the 5 seconds has once again elapsed and so on. This is not down to the microphone, I was able to check by plugging headphones into the soundboard and listening live to what was being recorded. Therefore it must be a problem with how this is being recorded with Live. I really can't think of anything that might be causing this problem...

Help? :(

Cheers,
Liam

dsu

Re: Recording mic, sound becomes distorted

Post by dsu » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:16 pm

I don't know this microphone but a quick google search suggests that it requires 48v phantom power. I don't understand what you mean by using a chinch cable into the microphone slot on the computer or even why you get any sound at all.

In order for the mic to work it needs to be plugged into a Xlr input that delivers a 48v phantom power to the elctronic circuits inside the mic body.

Here is note on phantom power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6McmnSmiY5o

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:49 am

megilll wrote:Hello,

I am trying to record with a microphone (Thomann SC 400) via a soundboard with a chinch cable into the microphone slot in the computer (not ideal, but it works). I have managed to compensate the latency so that the recordings always start at the right times, what I have not been able to figure out is why after about 5 seconds of recording the sound becomes distorted and fades away. This only happens with continuous sound, so that repeated notes with spaces between them are fine, however a long sung note for example is not. Taking this example, a legato melody (with no gaps in sound) fades away after 5 seconds, as soon as there is a break in sound the recording is fine again, until the 5 seconds has once again elapsed and so on. This is not down to the microphone, I was able to check by plugging headphones into the soundboard and listening live to what was being recorded. Therefore it must be a problem with how this is being recorded with Live. I really can't think of anything that might be causing this problem...

Help? :(

Cheers,
Liam

If you have Distorted Microphone, your preamp might be too hot. Maybe apply 'pad' to preamp and adjust gain in post.
Check out some of my soundtracks. Also Ableton Live Performance video.

ImageImage

megilll

Post by megilll » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:11 am

The microphone is plugged with an XLR cable into the mixer, the mixer is connected via a chinch cable from the main output to the computer's microphone slot. If I plug the main outs into a speaker, the microphone works fine, when I connect it to the computer and try to record tracks on Ableton, the sound quits as if phantom power was off, which it is not. That's why I am so confused...

chrk

Post by chrk » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:40 pm

So you ruled out the microphone, ruled out phantom power, ruled out the mixer's main outs, and I promise you can rule out Live as the source of error here, too.

You're obviously feeding a line signal into a computer microphone input. Signal levels (voltages) and impedances don't match, the microphone circuit craps out before it gets fried.

megilll

Post by megilll » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Okay, I have fixed the problem. It seems the distortion was being produced by my soundcard. By using ASIO4All I managed to bridge across and the distortion is gone! :)