Hey here's something weird/cool (analog vs operator)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Simonsez2389

Hey here's something weird/cool (analog vs operator)

Post by Simonsez2389 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:45 am

hey, tell me if this is known or not.

i needed to make a drone with one never-ending note, so i used the technique from Angstrom in this thread (bout three posts down)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=150569

then i was on my way jamming and 15mins or so later, no drone sound. it had faded. checked my ADSR but that shouldn't have mattered, checked everything else, couldn't (can't) figure out any reason why it should be very slowly fading. One might never ever know unless one was trying to do 30min drones. This was with Analog.

Just tried this experiment. Two synths, analog and operator, same continuous MIDI note. Both start at -12dB. After 15mins or so:

hats off to anyone who can explain this, i hope i'm just missing some setting or something. but it doesn't really matter because I can just use operator instead of analog. just thought i'd share.

ETA: btw i did start the analog 3mins or so after the operator because i messed it up, that's why the measures are off between the two clips. but that means it would've just been worse.

Simonsez2389

Re: Hey here's something weird/cool (analog vs operator)

Post by Simonsez2389 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:19 am

actually now that i think about this, there are some advantages to analog for my particular needs, so if there is a fix for this, please let me know. thanks.

Simonsez2389

Post by Simonsez2389 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:07 am

so is this well known by everyone or is it just not that interesting

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:56 am

it would help if you show the settings you are using on each synth...
badbrainz wrote: I'm a drummer, so I'm already at an intellectual disadvantage here

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:56 am

This seems weird dude! If you send me a set I can check. Contact me by pm, not sure I'll find some time this weekend, though.
Cheers
J.
Ableton Forum Moderator

ObtuseMoose

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:14 pm

I confirmed the effect with the default settings of Analog.

To fix it, change the Amp envelope slopes from EXP to LIN (exponential to linear). You probably would want to change the filter envelope slopes as well. I didn't confirm, but I would expect them to work the same way. (Then again, for a 30 minute drone, you might WANT the filter envelope to change very slowly.)

Of course, this changes the attack, decay, and release shapes, but if you're doing 30 minute drones, that might not matter.

Hope this helps.
--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

Simonsez2389

Post by Simonsez2389 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:39 pm

moose, THANK YOU! I tried this and here were the results after 15mins. The analog on the left is with the EXP curves, the right LIN curves like you suggested. default settings and the filters turned off for now.