Best Screen for Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
prestondj

Best Screen for Ableton

Post by prestondj » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:02 pm

Hey looking to link a Monitor or TV to my Apple Mac using the cord. Whats the best one to get? What am i looking for?
8)

sana48

Re: Best Screen for Ableton

Post by sana48 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:56 pm

get a big one.

then get another.

yes... two big screens.

then get more..

this should do.

jngrowbeets

Post by jngrowbeets » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:56 pm

Honestly I would just look to get a decent sized screen that looks nice on your desk/workstation. I generally find I don't need more than two screens in Ableton. And you shouldn't be multitasking that much anyways. Some might say the bigger the better, but I disagree-- take into account how close the screen will be to you and how much "real estate" you want a screen(s) to take up of your field of view.

prestondj

Post by prestondj » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:44 am

jngrowbeets wrote:Honestly I would just look to get a decent sized screen that looks nice on your desk/workstation. I generally find I don't need more than two screens in Ableton. And you shouldn't be multitasking that much anyways. Some might say the bigger the better, but I disagree-- take into account how close the screen will be to you and how much "real estate" you want a screen(s) to take up of your field of view.
Yeah im thinking of finding one as big as my workstation your correct :) :lol:

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:57 am

prestondj wrote:Hey looking to link a Monitor or TV to my Apple Mac using the cord. Whats the best one to get? What am i looking for?
8)
1080p hdtv or maybe a 4K.

I'd say like 27 to 32 inches.

One thing to watch out for on 4K. It will make the Ableton text very small depending on how far you have your monitor could be a problem.

prestondj

Post by prestondj » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:05 am

jlgrimes wrote:
prestondj wrote:Hey looking to link a Monitor or TV to my Apple Mac using the cord. Whats the best one to get? What am i looking for?
8)
1080p hdtv or maybe a 4K.

I'd say like 27 to 32 inches.

One thing to watch out for on 4K. It will make the Ableton text very small depending on how far you have your monitor could be a problem.

I think my workspace would suit a 32 inch to be honest, plus i assume that will keep the qaulity?

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:59 am

sana48 wrote:get a big one.

then get another.

yes... two big screens.

then get more..

this should do.

... and a pair of binoculars

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:11 am

Da hand wrote:
these should do...yes.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:39 am

@prestondj

sorry to hijack your thread with obnoxious pics...

seriously though, get as big a screen as you can fit in front of your face (and in your space).

go small, and be a squinting man.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:26 am

don't get a TV, get a computer monitor with a high resolution that goes well with the overall screen size.

personally i'm happy with a 27" monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution (my laptop display is the secondary). if your budget is stretched picture quality trumps overall screen size. many cheap displays are noticeably harder to look at than their better engineered brethren.

i would advise against getting a 4k monitor, or using more than one external monitor if you are using a laptop. your computer and graphics card need to work much harder to push all those pixels and it impacts on performance. your machine will run hotter and will glitch earlier.

prestondj

Post by prestondj » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:40 pm

fishmonkey wrote:don't get a TV, get a computer monitor with a high resolution that goes well with the overall screen size.

personally i'm happy with a 27" monitor with 2560 x 1440 resolution (my laptop display is the secondary). if your budget is stretched picture quality trumps overall screen size. many cheap displays are noticeably harder to look at than their better engineered brethren.

i would advise against getting a 4k monitor, or using more than one external monitor if you are using a laptop. your computer and graphics card need to work much harder to push all those pixels and it impacts on performance. your machine will run hotter and will glitch earlier.
That sucks, i might need to save upgrade my mac itself first then or is there a screen i can use in the meantime that wont glitch up too much?

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:28 pm

You should just sample different options to see how you like them,and how they work foe you, before pulling the trigger.

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:50 pm

fishmonkey wrote:don't get a TV, get a computer monitor with a high resolution that goes well with the overall screen size.

Yeah in that respect i'd recommend IPS, i use a Dell Ultrasharp which are widely regarded as one of the best but i'd go at least 27" or dual 24".

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:19 am

sana48 wrote:
Da hand wrote:
these should do...yes.
Hahaha

But man oh man, talk about the irony of blocking everyone's street view with an object that normally enables one to see better, lol

sana48

Post by sana48 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:35 am

Da hand wrote:
But man oh man, talk about the irony of blocking everyone's street view with an object that normally enables one to see better, lol

Lmao

:lol: