triggering with odd time signatures.

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
debz
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by debz » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi Everyone. I really hope someone can help me with this. I can trigger scenes in 4/4 no problem but with odd time like 3/4 or 5/4 a beat seems to get added somewhere and throws the groove right out. I noticed that the time clock near the stop play record at the top of the screen delays a beat every so often and causes this out of sync thing. Can anyone PLEASE help solve this ??

S4racen
Posts: 5232
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 pm
Location: Dunstable
Contact:

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by S4racen » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:42 pm

You are right, it does this!!

Cheers
D

debz
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by debz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:15 am

S4racen wrote:You are right, it does this!!

Cheers
D
SO is there a fix for this ?? A have a few tunes in odd time and just want to trigger different scenes with a midi peddle.

S4racen
Posts: 5232
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 pm
Location: Dunstable
Contact:

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by S4racen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:39 am

No there isn't, you could lodge it with ableton support...

Cheers
D

debz
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by debz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:51 am

S4racen wrote:No there isn't, you could lodge it with ableton support...

Cheers
D
Yeah I will thanks. I'm really surprised about this. I was sure it would be a simple thing I was missing .. 8O

chapelier fou
Posts: 4973
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:17 pm

Huh that's weird, i have many song in 3/4, 6/4, 7/8 etc.. and never noticed anything wrong. As long as you're changing the global time signature, it works perfectly. At least with a 1 bar global quantification.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

debz
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by debz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:35 pm

chapelier fou wrote:Huh that's weird, i have many song in 3/4, 6/4, 7/8 etc.. and never noticed anything wrong. As long as you're changing the global time signature, it works perfectly. At least with a 1 bar global quantification.
OOO a light!! Yeah I do change the global time signature and I have chosen one bar. What happens is the clock counter goes around say in 5/4 like this 12345 12345 123445 12345 .. the extra beat or some weird delay thing totally puts everything out by one beat. I'm not sure why it does this? And only seems to do it for odd time. I'm running live 8.4.2 32bit on a macbook pro mavericks 10.9.5. Are there any other settings I should be checking? Strange ... :?

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by ze2be » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:53 pm

debz wrote: Are there any other settings I should be checking? Strange ... :?
hmm... Maybe zoom in and check the clips loop positions? Dont remeber if it came with 8 or 9 but lately its become easy to missplace the markers because it doesnt snap to the grid unless you are exact on it. Especially annoying working with midi.
? ? ? ? ?

debz
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by debz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:09 pm

ze2be wrote:
debz wrote: Are there any other settings I should be checking? Strange ... :?
hmm... Maybe zoom in and check the clips loop positions? Dont remeber if it came with 8 or 9 but lately its become easy to missplace the markers because it doesnt snap to the grid unless you are exact on it. Especially annoying working with midi.
That's an interesting point. Thank you. I checked it out and the loop marker is right on it BUT.. it's right before the loop point that the counter clock stops for the extra beat on 4. So I moved the loop points around and it didn't make any difference. At some point the clock counter is 123445. What the hell is this little delay in the clock counter?? My loop points are 2 1 1 - 4 0 0.. I also make a really long clip and let it play without any loop points and watched the clock counter. After a few bars it goes out. The clock counter is not in time with the clip? How do I fix this I wonder?

chapelier fou
Posts: 4973
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:14 pm

You do know that you can name a scene like "blahblahblah 126bpm 5/4" ?
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
iMac 27" Retina i5 3,2 GHz OS 10.11.3 L10.0.1 M4L.

debz
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by debz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:32 pm

chapelier fou wrote:You do know that you can name a scene like "blahblahblah 126bpm 5/4" ?
Ok I can name a scene.. how does this help the counter clock delay?

overflow1
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:29 am

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by overflow1 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:12 pm

Maybe try this

Set live to 3/4 globally

now set up a loop in Arrangement that is still 4/4, (the loop brace is set to 4/4 by default)

with that loop on, the session clock gets sent back to one

1,2,3,1(Loop) so in effect you get 1,2,3,1, 1,2,3,1, .....etc.......

Is this your problem?

To fix this, set the Arrangement loop to 3/4......

debz
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by debz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:33 pm

overflow1 wrote:Maybe try this

Set live to 3/4 globally

now set up a loop in Arrangement that is still 4/4, (the loop brace is set to 4/4 by default)

with that loop on, the session clock gets sent back to one

1,2,3,1(Loop) so in effect you get 1,2,3,1, 1,2,3,1, .....etc.......

Is this your problem?

To fix this, set the Arrangement loop to 3/4......
Thanks.. but it doesn't seem to be consistent like that to 'trick' it into 5/4. My problem is that the counter clock isn't consistently counting 12345 along with the bpm. It will do so for a few bars then count 123445 like a pause on the 4. At this point everything is out of whack. I'm no longer worrying about a loop point or the foot controller because I can see the counter clock getting 'stuck' on 4 and it's always a 4.. wow what a pain. I appreciate your help though thanks.

ze2be
Posts: 3455
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:17 am
Location: Mos Eisley

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by ze2be » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:09 pm

BTW its a bit bad news for me aswell because I was planning on doing an album like that sometime in the future. Maybe that time would be a good time try out Bitwig..
? ? ? ? ?

debz
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:50 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: triggering with odd time signatures.

Post by debz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:20 pm

ze2be wrote:BTW its a bit bad news for me aswell because I was planning on doing an album like that sometime in the future. Maybe that time would be a good time try out Bitwig..
I wrote to Ableton tech support so if I get an answer I will post here to for you ok. :D

Post Reply