Live 9.6 - Half of Suite Library Missing in Browser

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
J0n35y

Live 9.6 - Half of Suite Library Missing in Browser

Post by J0n35y » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi guys

Updated to 9.6 yesterday and it looks as though my instruments, midi and audio effects are missing. I've seen this mentioned some time back but I'd like to avoid the hassle of reinstalling things. I can see the instruments in Windows explorer - can drag them into a live set - I just don't see anything in the browser! Or from Push which is more frustrating.

Any suggestions on how to force Live to rescan/rebuild it's Suite library?

Cheers

Stromkraft

Re: Live 9.6 - Half of Suite Library Missing in Browser

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:12 am

J0n35y wrote:
Any suggestions on how to force Live to rescan/rebuild it's Suite library?
You can delete the file database like this:
"delete the Live 9 Database.

Close Live
Access the Database folder for the Live version currently in use. This folder is located under:

Windows XP

\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Ableton\Live 9.x.x\Database\

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8

\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 9.x.x\Database\

Mac OS X

/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Ableton/Live 9.x.x/Database/

Delete the content of the folder, leaving the folder itself in place
Restart Live

At this point, Live will need to re-index all the content added to Places. As soon as the process progresses, your presets will start to appear in the respective categories.

Please note that the folders listed above may be hidden on your computer's operating system. The following knowledge base article contains information on how to access hidden folders on Windows and Mac OS X."
From the support article Live 9 database disk image is malformed, that despite seeming unrelated to your issue explains this.

While I can't swear this affects the factory packs indexing as well (article talks about Places), chances are it will. Your installation could be damaged of course, but worth a try.

Another way, if this doesn't work, might be to change the path under "Library" in the preferences to a temp folder, with only one pack, wait for indexing and then change back to the real one. Are you sure you're pointing to the same folder you see in Explorer?
Make some music!

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:37 pm

Cheers for that. Giving it a go just now but seems painfully slow. Will leave it for a bit to work it's magic. It's definitely repopulating the samples section of browser anyway so hopefully that will feed through the rest.

I did look into the library paths but I thought that that option was for a user library change only - didn't expect it to work here. I've raised a ticket with Ableton so will see what happens. During typing of this, Samples, Clips, and Drums have been populated but not the rest. :cry: Sake!

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:44 pm

OK - that didn't work so I have just copied in the 9.5 database file into 9.6 and they were back again for a few minutes and then disappeared!!!

And now I can't drag and drop the instruments in from explorer any longer. Very strange. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here...

koranek

Post by koranek » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:52 pm

I posted about this in another thread. I'm not sure if it's happening to everyone, but Live did a whole lot of reindexing after I upgraded to 9.6. At first I thought it was just my personal folders, but then I realized a lot of stuff seemed missing out of Live's library. Several hours later everything was back where I thought it should be.
https://soundcloud.com/johnkoranek

2020 27" iMac i9 10 core, 64G Ram, OS 10.15.7
Push 2
Novation SL MKIII
iConnectAudio 2+, iConnectMidi 4+
Live 11 Sweet

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:59 pm

I'll leave it on over night - no harm in trying the old leave for several hours for some magic to happen trick!

I thought that maybe it was an authentication issue - it does seem to take Live an age to authenticate. But it didn't help.

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:24 am

So the wait and see approach didnt work! Surprise!

Decided to uninstall Live and, strangely, when I went through the remove programme route, Live (or at least a version of) was still installed. This suggested something iffy so I decided to clean install Live and looks like it has done the trick. I'm guessing Live got confused with itself when originally updating to 9.6. All good now - I think...