Link Latency?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
foxymethoxy

Link Latency?

Post by foxymethoxy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:07 am

I'm happy about Ableton releasing 9.6 with Link in it. But, I'm running into a bit of a snag when using it.

I've got Link set up between my iMac and iPad, using Korg Gadget, and am testing the latency using just a quarter note (1, 2, 3, 4) pattern on one of the synths (no attack of course). Gadget's latency setting is set to "fast. "Recording audio straight into my RME Fireface UCX from iPad, buffer at 128, the notes are hitting about 45ms behind the beat, making it not really in sync at all. Have setup ad hoc network as well instead of home Wifi, same thing happens. Delay Compensation is set to "on"; Reduced Latency is set to "Off." But the notes fall behind beat fairly significantly (45ms). With all of my other hardware synths, latency is about 15ms with these settings.

So, I guess I am wondering - are other people having latency issues with Link? Is there something wrong about my setup? Is it Korg Gadget? What gives?

Of course, there will always be latency with anything, but with all of Ableton's promises I figured Link would hit a little closer to the beat :)

Gyu гы

Re: Link Latency?

Post by Gyu гы » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:04 am

Yeah, I experienced this with Gadget in the beta.

Gylen

Post by Gylen » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:38 am

I would guess that it's Gadget that is the main issue.

Coincidentally, I was reading some other forums last night and noticed a few mentions of Gadget having pretty bad timing when synced to other devices.

Obvious thing would be to try something else with Link and see if you get the same issue?

F34TH3R

Post by F34TH3R » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:59 pm

I've used link with several apps (but not gadget yet) and haven't had any problems. Id guess that your wifi network isn't up for the task or, most likely, gadget app isn't working properly. Id get in contact with korg...
F34TH3R