Sample Library

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
prestondj

Sample Library

Post by prestondj » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:41 am

How do you organize yours?

joefrost01

Re: Sample Library

Post by joefrost01 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:17 pm

I just store them in folders under the library name on one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-F ... disk+128GB to free up some disk on my laptop.

When I save a project I do a collect-all-and-save every so often and I use Splice to keep a private copy of the projects including samples in the cloud. That way, plugins not withstanding, they're somewhat portable between my Macs.

ifPthenQ

Re: Sample Library

Post by ifPthenQ » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:33 pm

over time you'll start liking specific sounds for specific purposes, you might as well start a "my favorites folder" and start putting samples that you like in there.

i recommend you be rather liberal as to what you put in there initially because you can always take stuff out if you find that you're not using it or you don't like it after all -- but it's worse to sift through your whole library trying to find that one sample that worked perfectly

as for general folders, i recommend you set them up with specific descriptors. eg:

- top snare
- top snare verb
- top kick
- sub kick
- lo fi open hat
- wide open hat

etc.

that way if you know you need something, you can jump right to the folder and try a few samples out before landing on the right one. makes things really efficient and quick. but it does take some time going through your library to set up. however, it's totally worth it because you find some really awesome samples this way. also, you reinforce a personal vocabulary regarding different sample characteristics so when you hear something in a song you like, you know to could achieve a similar result fairly quickly.