Nudge automation envelopes?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EarHax

Nudge automation envelopes?

Post by EarHax » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:54 am

Is there any way to do this in the arrangement view or some workaround to simply nudge an envelope by the current grid value?

mauronedj

Re: Nudge automation envelopes?

Post by mauronedj » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:05 pm

Select an arrangment portion with the grid active.
Drag the automation from slightly above or under, that will create a straight line and 4 points.
Delete the 3 points that you don't need.

EarHax

Post by EarHax » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:54 pm

mauronedj wrote:Select an arrangment portion with the grid active.
Drag the automation from slightly above or under, that will create a straight line and 4 points.
Delete the 3 points that you don't need.
This explains how to add an envelope point. What I'm looking to do is shift an existing automation envelope on a track forward/backward on the timeline.

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:25 pm

Oh now I understand (I think it was pretty simple question).

The way I do this is copying and pasting, you can't drag automation left and right, just up and down.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:24 am

mauronedj wrote:Oh now I understand (I think it was pretty simple question).

The way I do this is copying and pasting, you can't drag automation left and right, just up and down.
This is totally wrong. Just make a selection of the section you want to affect, move the mouse pointer on top of the automation and drag the selection in any direction you want.

What is missing is automation quantization.
Make some music!

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:33 pm

Stromkraft wrote: This is totally wrong. Just make a selection of the section you want to affect, move the mouse pointer on top of the automation and drag the selection in any direction you want.

??? You can't drag automation portion back and forth the arrangement (timewise), you can only drag it's value up and down (maybe on Mac you can).
Can you please send me a video while you do that?
Maybe you're talking about dragging the midi clip with all the automation in that portion left and right, but that's another point, if you have more than one automation you can't do that to change only one of them.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:08 pm

mauronedj wrote:
Stromkraft wrote: This is totally wrong. Just make a selection of the section you want to affect, move the mouse pointer on top of the automation and drag the selection in any direction you want.

??? You can't drag automation portion back and forth the arrangement (timewise), you can only drag it's value up and down (maybe on Mac you can).
It seems as we both are right. In Arrangement, a selection of a continuous automation recorded with Push at least — I'd assume any controller —  is moveable in any direction, but hand entered automation only moves up and down as you suggest.
I don't see why there's a difference.
Make some music!

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:38 pm

Stromkraft wrote: It seems as we both are right. In Arrangement, a selection of a continuous automation recorded with Push at least — I'd assume any controller —  is moveable in any direction, but hand entered automation only moves up and down as you suggest.
Oh I didn't know that (well I don't record automation with controllers in a while). I'll try that, thanks :D

EarHax

Post by EarHax » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 pm

I've always been able to highlight all points in a selected envelope and move them up/down or left/right, regardless of whether I drew or recorded the automation. What I am asking is for a quantized nudge to grid increment. I guess this feature just doesn't exist. Maybe we'll get it in v.10.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:35 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
mauronedj wrote:

It seems as we both are right. In Arrangement, a selection of a continuous automation recorded with Push at least — I'd assume any controller —  is moveable in any direction, but hand entered automation only moves up and down as you suggest.
depends where you click-drag:
hovering the mouse pointer just below the envelope turns it blue and movement will be
constrained vertically, whereas clicking directly on an automation point allows full movement.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:33 am

garyboozy wrote: depends where you click-drag:
hovering the mouse pointer just below the envelope turns it blue and movement will be
constrained vertically, whereas clicking directly on an automation point allows full movement.
Yes, you're right. The reason I missed this nuance with the recorded automation was because the points are so many in a recording. As you see other points light up at that point, which you clearly see in your little movie, you can know beforehand which part of the automation that will move with the point under the cursor. These are the ones in the grid selection as you can see.

Great observation, thank you!
Last edited by Stromkraft on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

mauronedj

Post by mauronedj » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:14 pm

Maaaaan thanks, I didn't know that!
I guess after 8 years of ableton usage you can still learn something new!!! Great!