"polyphonic panorama" in synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ChironControl

"polyphonic panorama" in synths

Post by ChironControl » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:03 pm

Hello everybody,

I am looking for ideas and solutions:

I want to play back midi notes and set for each note a certain panorama. It should be also working if the last note is still playing when the next note comes. My solutions at the moment:
1) If random is OK, I find solutions using random LFOs to set the pan at the output (which works polyphonically!)
2) For short notes, I can use clip automation to set the panorama
3) using instrument racks or drum rack where I have 2 ore more instances of the same synth, where each is routed to a fixed output or panorama.

Using drum racks (all notes) is the best solution I have at the moment for multi channel output. But the handling isn't very comfortable when I change settings where I do not have mapped macros.

Any other ideas?

My dream would be to have one midi message for one note where I can set not only pitch and velocity but also pan (and other parameters). Do exist such systems?

For the long run I will see if I go for stand alone MAX to program multi channel synths. In Ableton you always have the problem with the limitation of only 2 channels. (which should already answer the question that in case of more than two channels there cannot be a really comfortable solution)

chapelier fou

Re: "polyphonic panorama" in synths

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:09 pm

Using Instrument Racks or Drum Racks is the best and only solution. Unless the synth you use already has such a functionality.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:50 pm

Synths that have this function typically use one of two methods:

1. Modulate pan by MIDI note number.

2. Each new voice sounded is panned to the next location, the number of locations is fixed and wraps around.

ChironControl

Post by ChironControl » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks for your answers. Seems that my solutions are at the moment the only way to do what I want to achieve - that is also good to know.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:46 pm

with keytracking and stacks i would try to approach this idea
but honestly only barely used it for softer, more linear pannings.

ChironControl

Post by ChironControl » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Yes, I also have cases where keytracking is sufficient and is of use. For sound generation without pitch this is fine. But I have other cases where I would like to have more exact and independent control over pitch and pan.