I need a drum BRAIN or so I think? I want to trigger ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jackblasto

I need a drum BRAIN or so I think? I want to trigger ableton

Post by jackblasto » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:44 am

So Ive googled and googled this and cannot come up with a simple solution. Said simply, the drum kits in Ableton sound great. The drum kits in most "drum brains" modules sound like crap.... that said, I have drum pads and I WANT to use Abletons drum sounds. I am sort of successful with my current set up but Im looking for an even better setup. Whats an easy way to accomplish this with a GOOD module for sensitivity, etc. I currently am using a Alesis Trigger I/O. It does the trick but is lacking in great input as it doesn't interpret my Pearl Tru Trac drum heads as perfect as I'd like. Its good, just not great. Im not a pro drummer but I can FEEL the flaws with using this input. I have googled and I see drum modules that are reviewed well that are 2k... The thing is, I dont even WANT those modules for sounds, I NEED a module simply for input because again, I WANT to utilize Abletons kits anyhow. I would imagine there are drummers using Ableton in this fashion? I mean the power of Abletons drums seem so great I would think EVERYONE would simply be inputing directly into it and using its sounds so WHERE is this info ;) ??? Please help me find a versatile drum brain for these pads without breaking the bank but not being so cheap that it doesnt function well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

beatz01

Re: I need a drum BRAIN or so I think? I want to trigger ableton

Post by beatz01 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:30 am

Honestly i think the Alesis Trigger i/o is already the best solution at the market, at least pricewise.Maybe your pads are not sensitive enough or you should play around with velocity settings and/or latency settings in your audio interface ?

I also have used the Alesis Percpad occasionally and think it really does a great job when it comes to triggering via Midi.It has 4 pads and one (mono) trigger input for bassdrum and the pads are really sensitive and respond really fast.

What you can do is use the Percpad in combination with a velocity sensitive BD trigger and map the hihat on/off to s simple sustain switch/pedal that you put in somewhere else (keyboard sustain input etc ).OR just use a real hihat.

This way you have a little drumkit for almost nothing.

You could also look for a used Pad80/Octapad II or a Alesis Performance Pad - several inputs and lots of pads that on both models trigger nicely.

But as said, i think the Trigger io is already a very good interface.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:43 am

the Alesis Trigger IO is not a very good general triggering unit.

there are not a lot of triggering-only options out there though.

i just found this unit, which looks good if you are a DIY type (although you can buy pre-built ones):

http://www.megadrum.info/

jackblasto

Post by jackblasto » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. I was kind of wondering this and am glad to see the Alesis I/O by some is adequate. I will play around more with settings and will also look into the megadrum. I just emailed the guy for pricing.

While we're on this topic might I ask your opinion on this. The Pearl tru trac drum heads I have ship in a kit that comes with a Pearl red box module. I did not buy it this way. I bought the heads only (in a factory open box cheaper fashion) to save cost and to throw them on a cheap kit I had at the house already. I still have hopes for it. I can buy a red box module off ebay but my fear is that I will be getting a comparable situation given that I don't want/need sounds, I have sounds in Ableton... so my question now is, would you think there would be better sensitivity from this red box module, given that it was designed with the trutrac heads in mind, and if so, this red box module would control sounds in Ableton like my current situation?

Would you shell out the money if it was you to match up these parts hoping it would "talk" to ableton better than the Alesis or do you feel there is no benefit since I really don't need a module with sounds and the Alesis IO is really doing just about all the red box would do in my situation?

My fear is I buy a redbox, and use it as nothing more than an input/output device and find that it is just as good as the Alesis IO

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:55 pm

i never bought a Trigger IO as i read too many negative reports about how painful it is to program, and also about how it isn't very flexible when it comes to accommodating other trigger designs. a number of people have also reported that it doesn't track fast or subtle strikes very well. what kind of tracking issues are you experiencing?

jackblasto

Post by jackblasto » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:29 pm

It just doesn't always interpret as smoothly as an acoustic drum reacts. Maybe thats the nature of the beast though. I mean I love the drum sounds ableton has when programming them by hand or inputting them with the push or another device (like a NON drummer) , but when inputting them with an actual drum pad it feels a tad clunky. I did drop down the buffer a LOT and that did help. That megadrum mentioned earlier in this thread I've been researching more and it seems really good for a reasonable price actually. In the event I upgrade it will most definitely be that as the guy that made it made it specifically to accomplish what I am requesting here. It seems to be he developed it to be an input of quality much like the higher end drum modules, but no frills with sounds, just a nice input so I will give this a try, as its reasonably priced... I think around $325 American dollars for a completely built one. When comparing that to the high end drum modules at 2k its worth a shot. Much thanks to fishmonkey for posting the info as its a solid lead in this area.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:54 am

no problem, happy to help.

if you have the time and inclination DIY is a great way to go with e-drums. most of the commercial offerings are really outrageously over-priced for what they offer in terms of technology and performance...