Using external hardware synth and mixer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
frontmanbeats

Using external hardware synth and mixer

Post by frontmanbeats » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:02 pm

Hello

I have recently bought my first external mixer. Soundcraft epm6 and want to know how i Achieve the following.

1. I want the sound from an external synth through the mixer into a soundcard (Duet firewire) -- > ableton, put on some audioeffects and get the same signal back into the mixer and out of the of the main out or headphone on the mixer. Only the signal with the added audio effects. Hope it makes sense.

What channels should I use and why? I really hope some will take the time to answer this. Thanks

yur2die4

Re: Using external hardware synth and mixer

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:12 pm

Could you explain why it needs to go into the mixer, our of the mixer, then back into the mixer, instead of just going into Live first?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:16 pm

Okay, I figured maybe it is for when you don't feel like turning the computer on.

I'd have it go into a mixer channel and use either send (aux) or bus channels.

Have Live 'receive' audio from the bus or send (aux) channel, and that would be your synth.

Then you send the synth output from Live to another channel on your mixer (instead of the return channel on the mixer).

You should be able to either mute or do some pfl or something to get it to be 'quiet' when you're using it through Live.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:22 pm

How about using one of the insert jacks? Connect the synth to channel whatever, run a stereo to dual mono out of the insert and to the Apogee, and connect your monitors to the mixers main outputs.

Then your signal passes out of the mixer, through ableton, and returns back to the mixer with whatever effects you've laid on in Ableton, right?. Essentially Ableton becomes one big insert effect.

frontmanbeats

Post by frontmanbeats » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:32 pm

I have connected one synth to a channel input. From that channel i run a line from insert to apogee. But where do I connect the output from apogee in the mixer ?

--> yur2die4 this works when pfl is pressed but then I cant use the faders on the mixer.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:54 pm

Use one fader when you want to go direct, use the other fader when you are going through the computer.

But the insert plan might work better (I admit I have not really used inserts before). It sounds like with the insert you pipe your soundcard out to a second channel. Maybe a Google search on using inserts.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:02 pm

Oops. Now I see.

So, your instrument goes to Input.

Insert goes to both the in and out of the interface (uses splitter). Careful to get your polarities, tip ring sleeve correct.

outsidesys

Post by outsidesys » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Sounds like you want to use Live as an external effects processor for your synth.

Like yur2die4 said, using an Insert on the mixer requires a special insert audio cable too work, and you won't be able to control the amount of the audio signal sent to Live from the mixer. You'll have to control the amount in Live.

Use one of the Aux Sends on the mixer and set the Aux Master to Post. Post allows you to use the fader to control the amount sent to the Aux output in relation to the fader.

When the Aux Master is set to Pre, the relationship between the aux send and the fader is decoupled. Each one is controlled separately.