New Apple Laptops

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Barry Venison

New Apple Laptops

Post by Barry Venison » Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:59 pm

17 inch & 12 inch G4's - well smart! just need some cash!!

tjwett not logged in

Post by tjwett not logged in » Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:43 pm

yeah! these are sick, i want one NOW. the 12" is just insane. can't wait to see one up close. i'm also psyched about the new browser, "Safari". i'm a true Apple nerd.

Barry Venison

Post by Barry Venison » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:00 pm

tjwett not logged in wrote:yeah! these are sick, i want one NOW. the 12" is just insane. can't wait to see one up close. i'm also psyched about the new browser, "Safari". i'm a true Apple nerd.
i've just been checking out the new browser, and also just sent a bug report... try coming to these forums using it (you'll need a torch!) apart from that it looks damn fine!

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:03 pm

is it the PHP or something? i'm on a Wintel at work so I can't see. here's an attempt to keep this thread on topic: "I can't wait to install Live on one of these new machines! Damn, I LOVE Ableton Live!" :wink:

Barry Venison

Post by Barry Venison » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:12 pm

yeah sorry 'bout driffting off there ;) got to say the new look live2 will look the bizness on the new machines!

tjwett still not logged

Post by tjwett still not logged » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:18 pm

yeah, anyway about those new PowerBooks...i noticed that all the ports are on the left and the slot drive is on the right, just like the iBooks. processor aside, i really hope they aren't just a silver painted iBook with some fancy things tacked on. they look like the real deal though and i hope the new alluminum casing is stronger than the old Tofu Titanium Substitute they used for the TiBooks. $1799 is a good price too, for the technology on offer. again, i'm psyched.

yon

Post by yon » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:21 pm

tjwett not logged in wrote:yeah! these are sick, i want one NOW. the 12" is just insane. can't wait to see one up close. i'm also psyched about the new browser, "Safari". i'm a true Apple nerd.
One memo: according to my quick glance at the specs, the 12" lacks L3 cache, which puts it in an architectural situation similar to the rev B powerbooks. The setup is different, however, so it might be difficult to predict audio performance without some benchmarks.

Yon

yon

Post by yon » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:22 pm

oh yeah.. i typed that last memo from the new browser, Safari.
it has the same black background issue with the forum as omniweb
has, something i was supposed to follow up on a couple weeks ago!!

yon / ableton

tjwett not logged

Post by tjwett not logged » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:26 pm

yon wrote:
One memo: according to my quick glance at the specs, the 12" lacks L3 cache, which puts it in an architectural situation similar to the rev B powerbooks. The setup is different, however, so it might be difficult to predict audio performance without some benchmarks.

Yon
oooh...i didn't notice that. hmm, that puts a little damper on my excitement. the lack of L3 is what made my TiBook 550 such a slug with audio and was the reason i got rid of it. why is it ALWAYS something?

Barry Venison

Post by Barry Venison » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:29 pm

i hoped steve jobs was gonna throw it on the floor and shout "look, not a fucking scratch!"

tjwett not logged

Post by tjwett not logged » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:39 pm

HAHAHAHA!!!! very good. that's the funniest thing i've heard all day. i used to sit and stare at the scratches that would just "appear" on my TiBook and wonder...why? how? wishing i could turn back the hands of time.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:29 pm

the hard drives are slower and it looks like the 12"'s lack a cardbus slot as well (all you hammerfall users beware). that, coupled with the lack of l3 is enough to make me get over how gosh darn cute it is really quick. built in bluetooth kinda rocks, but that hardly makes up for the rest of it.

can i just say that the 15" tibooks were big, so who the fuck is gonna buy one of those 17" monsters? something that big almost defeats the purpose of having a laptop. i forsee apple selling a poo-load of the 12 and 15's, but i really don't see how there could be a big enough market for a 17" laptop. maybe i'm wrong, but i'm suprised that apple developed something like this.

k

macaddled

Post by macaddled » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:38 pm

Oh my god I can't believe you guys are missing the coolest thing about the 17" ... g-d BACKLIT KEYBOARD. Hallelujah. Will make Live a million times easier to use in a dark environment, which problem I'm sure nobody here ever runs into.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:58 pm

you're right...i missed that, and that is megafly. they're still comically big though.

k

Barry Venison

Post by Barry Venison » Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:07 pm

your right about the size of the 17, i wasn't expecting that! although, if you could take the screen away from the keyboard and hang it on the wall, now that would be the biscuit!