Dear god tell me this is possible

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
audiosymmetry

Dear god tell me this is possible

Post by audiosymmetry » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:38 am

Is there a device that automatically modulates the pitch of any sample to a specific note?
Last edited by audiosymmetry on Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarekith

Re: Dear god tell me this is possible

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:56 am

Clip envelope mapped to clip transpose?

audiosymmetry

Post by audiosymmetry » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Tarekith wrote:Clip envelope mapped to clip transpose?
This would require manual editing of the envelope to reach the desired pitch/key. I'm wondering if there's a device that will automatically modulate the pitch to a specific note.

For example, let's say I have a multi-sampler with 20 different one note flute samples, some are D#, some B, some D, etc. I want to be able to drop an audio effect device after the sampler that automatically modulates the pitch of all audio coming out of the sampler to a desired key (e.g. F#). Kinda like a quantize for melody

A visual analogy might be to take any picture and apply a filter that automatically makes the picture green no matter what color it was before.

dhpetrescu

Post by dhpetrescu » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:15 am

Seems like you should just use 1 flute sample, insert in on a midi track in simpler. Transpose the sample to C. Then play your keyboard. Ideally you use multi sample flute with sampler.

penguinpajamas

Post by penguinpajamas » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:48 am

Have you looked into Autotune?

audiosymmetry

Post by audiosymmetry » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:50 am

penguinpajamas wrote:Have you looked into Autotune?
Pretty sure that's what I'm looking for, Was hoping I could make it happen natively in Live, :(

audiosymmetry

Post by audiosymmetry » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:53 am

dhpetrescu wrote:Seems like you should just use 1 flute sample, insert in on a midi track in simpler. Transpose the sample to C. Then play your keyboard. Ideally you use multi sample flute with sampler.
If I do that I'd have to manually transpose the sample, I'm trying to find a solution that will automatically transpose any sample to a specific key, no matter what key the source sample is in. I reckon autotune is my only hope.

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:59 am

audiosymmetry wrote:
dhpetrescu wrote:Seems like you should just use 1 flute sample, insert in on a midi track in simpler. Transpose the sample to C. Then play your keyboard. Ideally you use multi sample flute with sampler.
If I do that I'd have to manually transpose the sample, I'm trying to find a solution that will automatically transpose any sample to a specific key, no matter what key the source sample is in. I reckon autotune is my only hope.
you could make the note you want the root note of the sample...in sampler

audiosymmetry

Post by audiosymmetry » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:03 am

Inversoundzzz wrote:
audiosymmetry wrote:
you could make the note you want the root note of the sample...in sampler
Can you elaborate? Are we talking about adjusting the "RootKey" in sampler?

NoSonic822

Post by NoSonic822 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:43 am

Can you elaborate? Are we talking about adjusting the "RootKey" in sampler?[/quote]
:roll: :twisted: :) yes my friend

penguinpajamas

Post by penguinpajamas » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:40 am

Unfortunately, if you're looking to do this in realtime, you'd need Autotune, which you can't natively accomplish in Ableton. I've actually been hoping for a native Autotune/formant shifting effect for a while now.

Now, if you're looking for plugins, iZotope Nectar is really solid. It's a vocal suite overall (a great one, might I add) but it's got a really flexible autotune section where you can choose a specific key or any custom specific notes you may want.

sana48

Post by sana48 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:13 am

im still trying to figure out why this is even needed :/

audiosymmetry

Post by audiosymmetry » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:17 am

Thx penguinpajamas! Sana48, I like putting a randomizer on my sampler and chucking a host of random samples into it so that they play percussively. Ideally the samples would be in the key of the song, but I don't want to manually pitch each sample by hand one by one. It's doable of course, but it's time consuming, if I could have it done automatically it would cut the fat out of my workflow.

audiosymmetry

Post by audiosymmetry » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:23 am

Inversoundzzz wrote:Can you elaborate? Are we talking about adjusting the "RootKey" in sampler?
:roll: :twisted: :) yes my friend[/quote]

My understanding is that Rootkey in sampler doesn't modulate the sample's pitch, it just serves as a way for the user to let ableton know the key of the source sample. Which means if I want all my samples to be in F# for instance, adjusting the sampler's Rootkey to F# won't work, it will simply tell ableton that my source samples are F# even though they're or not. Am I understanding it correctly?

sana48

Post by sana48 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:24 am

audiosymmetry wrote:Sana48, I like putting a randomizer on my sampler and chucking a host of random samples into it so that they play percussively. Ideally the samples would be in the key of the song, but I don't want to manually pitch each sample by hand one by one. It's doable of course, but it's time consuming, if I could have it done automatically it would cut the fat out of my workflow.
ahhh.....

ask Meikwave....

but I doubt you'll understand his technical answer :mrgreen: