Hardware synth recording

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HesitationMarksjagged

Hardware synth recording

Post by HesitationMarksjagged » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi, i was working on a project in Live 9.6 and i decided to add some Bass Station 2 to my percussion base created with Live. I saved the preset of the sound that i created on the synth and the started to record the track, i saved the track and then disconnected the BS 2 so i can use another hardware synth. i press the button play and then i notice that i can't hear any sound from the track recorded with the BS2... what i have to do to record an hardware synth and then be able to hear it?

yur2die4

Re: Hardware synth recording

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:57 pm

If you only recorded a midi pattern, you still need to record the audio that the synth generates.

stoersignal

Post by stoersignal » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:58 pm

did you record the audio or midi?
sounds like that either you haven`t selected the correct input on your interface or you just recorded the midi

HesitationMarksjagged

Post by HesitationMarksjagged » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:09 pm

stoersignal wrote:did you record the audio or midi?
sounds like that either you haven`t selected the correct input on your interface or you just recorded the midi
i think i've only recorded the midi signal and no audio. i'm reading the manual etc but i cannot find a solution

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:38 pm

With the midi signal, it triggers the synth to generate sound.

The sound of the synth might go out to your mixer, or it might go back into Ableton Live.

If it does not go back into Ableton Live, you can't record the audio that is generated. If you do not record the audio you've generated, then when you disconnect the synth, the sound won't happen.

HesitationMarksjagged

Post by HesitationMarksjagged » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:53 pm

yur2die4 wrote:With the midi signal, it triggers the synth to generate sound.

The sound of the synth might go out to your mixer, or it might go back into Ableton Live.

If it does not go back into Ableton Live, you can't record the audio that is generated. If you do not record the audio you've generated, then when you disconnect the synth, the sound won't happen.
I'm watching the track, and when i play it back without the synth connected i can see on the mixer of the synth track that the column where you see the level of volume is "working" like when the sound is coming out but i can't hear anything. So i think i recorded everything but for some reason the sound can't come out. Also on the settings of the track the Out is the Bass Station itself and not the Audio interface. i don't know what to do.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:54 pm

Is the meter dots or is it a volume?

If the meter is dots (with no volume control), then it is just telling you that it is sending midi notes when the meter bounces.

HesitationMarksjagged

Post by HesitationMarksjagged » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:03 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Is the meter dots or is it a volume?

If the meter is dots (with no volume control), then it is just telling you that it is sending midi notes when the meter bounces.

The meter, sorry my english musical vocabulary is not that vast :) so, how can i record the audio if i have already recorded the midi?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:04 pm

How is your synth making sound? What is the audio output of your synth connected to?

HesitationMarksjagged

Post by HesitationMarksjagged » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:08 pm

yur2die4 wrote:How is your synth making sound? What is the audio output of your synth connected to?
i've connected the output of the synth to the audio interface and also the midi out of the synth with the midi in of the audio interface, the audio interface is connected to my monitors and with the usb to the pc. the audio interface is a focusrite scarlett 6i6

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:11 pm

Create an audio channel in Live that receives External Input from the channels your synth is connected to on your interface.

Are you using Arrangement View or Session View?

In Arrangement, you would arm Only the channel with the audio (receiving synth) and activate record during the parts.

In Session, you would record the audio into a clip slot while the midi clip is playing. (Fun to tweak while recording an extra long loop, and then using different parts of it at different times :P)

HesitationMarksjagged

Post by HesitationMarksjagged » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:33 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Create an audio channel in Live that receives External Input from the channels your synth is connected to on your interface.

Are you using Arrangement View or Session View?

In Arrangement, you would arm Only the channel with the audio (receiving synth) and activate record during the parts.

In Session, you would record the audio into a clip slot while the midi clip is playing. (Fun to tweak while recording an extra long loop, and then using different parts of it at different times :P)
I'm using the arrangement view at the moment since i'm composing in "traditional" way :lol: aaaaaaaah thank god i've finally made it :) thank you very much for the tips... now it's time to relax a minute and then start to play like there is no tomorrow :)

HesitationMarksjagged

Post by HesitationMarksjagged » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:05 pm

Hi, so, i finished the track i was working with the bass station, another hardware synth and some vst i want to export the project as an audio track so i can send it to my cousin who wants to hear it... i go to file press "export audio" in wav file etc, then when i play the wav file i can only hear the sound of the vst tracks andnot the hardware synth part.. whats going on? i know for sure that i'm recording the audio and not the midi file but i can't understand why when i record in audio format the project, the hardware synths sound doesn't come out

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:30 pm

Here's a silly question - humor me, mate. If you disconnect your bass station from your set-up, and play back your Ableton project file, you can still hear the hardware synth's audio, right?

HesitationMarksjagged

Post by HesitationMarksjagged » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:38 pm

Shift Gorden wrote:Here's a silly question - humor me, mate. If you disconnect your bass station from your set-up, and play back your Ableton project file, you can still hear the hardware synth's audio, right?
Yep, absolutelly :wink: