Simple question from a newb?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Slickie

Simple question from a newb?

Post by Slickie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:43 pm

I am using the demo awaiting Live 5 to come out - so far I love this program and its no surprise since I have been using Reason for several years - and this seems to be the perfect match for it. Few Questions regarding recording audio clips -

If I want to record a non midi insstrument like a guitar/analog synth etc - I record into an empty clip - I have found the metronome but cant find a pre count - like reasons - what happens is I hit record but then take time to walk (quickly) to the synth - then when its done I have a bunch of empty space left before and after the track - what is the most common way to "trim" the tracks? An external program like bias peak or do people just set up the loop markers - and if so isnt then that clip a bit larger than it needs to be with the excess before and after.

just wonder ing

also has anyone heard of problems with LIve 4/5 and the m-audio firewire 410? I have the 410 and have read some people have had probs - so I need to make sure this isnt the case.

thanks all

telekom

Post by telekom » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:42 am

Hi Slickie, welcome.....
You can copy or record the synth part into the arrangement and then split (cmd-E) the take by clicking where you want to cut, split, and then delete the portion that has the silent bit. When you close down it'll ask if you wanna keep the unused samples and you can say no. Or you can use an external editor like you said.

Hope that helps, have fun...
:)
MacBook Pro Retina, Live 9.5, Reason, UC33, KRK RP5s, Teenage Engineering OP1, Korg ESX2, Korg Prophecy, Clavia Nord Lead, Bass, Guitars.
http://soundcloud.com/motorradkinophone

amo

Post by amo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:08 am

And precount is there in live 5 :wink:
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:18 am

I use the loop points, or sometimes just move the first warp marker to where I want things to start from and set loop points from there..

Live5 will sort you out though I believe.

braj

Post by braj » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:23 am

I record whatever I'm recording, set the loop markers accordingly, then consolodate and it trims it up nicely.

mike holiday

Re: Simple question from a newb?

Post by mike holiday » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:15 am

Slickie wrote: what is the most common way to "trim" the tracks? An external program like bias peak or do people just set up the loop markers
thanks all
in the arrange view "consolidate" does this it is very easy what ever you see for the track in the arrange view is what you end up with for an audio file. works for mid also. you find it under "edit" menu
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:31 am

I'll have the section repeating in session view.....

Then I'll play the part, getting my timing and groove right.....

Then when it loops around I'll use a footswitch to start recording.

-Ben