Issues with the browser when previewing clips and loading.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
musikmachine

Issues with the browser when previewing clips and loading.

Post by musikmachine » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:18 pm

To be clear it's an issue with projects but i've had this for while. I'm assuming it's the normal behaviour and looking for ways to speed up Live's browsing and loading, it's been bugging me for a while.

Live 9.6 beta 64bit (same with 9.6, same user library with both versions), Samsung Evo SSD, 12gb Ram.

Basically when clicking on a track to unfold it and preview it Live becomes unresponsive, i get the blue spinning disc and it takes about 5-10 seconds just to unfold, is this normal? Also previewing a clip can take about 15 seconds and again live becomes unresponsive.

The other issue seems to be double clicking on tracks in arrangement view to load, again the blue spinning disc and nothing happens, can i only load tracks in session view; what's going on here? Why does live stop responding when i try and drag a clip into arrangement view? Also is there a way to automatically preview track clips instead of having to click to preview for every clip? Having to click on the track can potentially load the clip so usually i just load the track.

And finally another other issue i have is searching projects, the browser slows right down, say i remove or add a letter, blue spinning disc for about 25 seconds. My user library and projects are on an SSD so i'm not sure why it's so slow but yeah accessing stuff from existing projects us a tedious process.

Cheers!

(Edited for typos)

musikmachine

Re: Issues with the browser when previewing clips and loading.

Post by musikmachine » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:38 pm

Dragging tracks into the arrangement view works fine, just takes a while for the line to turn black.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Have you tried increasing your decode cache in the preferences?

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:06 pm

It was at 2gb, what would be a good size, 4gb? Also is it best placed on the SSD drive? I could place it on a drive partition but it's SATA.

Another quick question, i placed the user library on the SSD; would i see an improvement if i placed on the 7,200 rpm SATA drive and the move the decode cache to a second drive?

I thought i'd get the best performance from the SSD with regard to loading projects and freezing tracks etc.

Cheers!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:25 pm

I always try to run as much as possible on the SSD, best to take advantage that speed where ever you can IMO. What kind of tracks are you dragging into Live, wavs or MP3/FLACs?

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:46 pm

Tarekith wrote:I always try to run as much as possible on the SSD, best to take advantage that speed where ever you can IMO. What kind of tracks are you dragging into Live, wavs or MP3/FLACs?
Ah i thought you were referring to audio. It's neither, i'm loading tracks from existing projects with plugins etc but everything's slow, unfolding sets, tracks, previewing clips, loading tracks etc.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:40 am

I'm guessing it's just because it's taking time to load the plug ins.

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:32 am

which Samsung Evo SSD do you have? there is a known firmware bug in some of the 840 Evos, which there is now a firmware update for:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/sams ... rmance-bug

btw, your SSD also uses a SATA connection...

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:31 pm

@Tarekith i can understand with track clips but why does the browser become unresponsive if i add or delete letters?

@fishmonkey 850 evo, can't see an update for it but i was aware of the 840 issue...

I'll email support to see if they can give any insights on how to speed up things with the browser. I was reading this yesterday Link which is why i mentioned putting things on different drives but i think moving the user lib, samples and decode cache from the SSD might slow things down?

Cheers!

musikmachine

Post by musikmachine » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:39 pm

Just a heads up but it was the beta, someone else was having similar issues. Seems like the update introduced it but i was having issues with 9.6 which forced me to use the beta but Win 8 compatibility mode seems to have fixed it. :)