Do I need Ableton Live or another software?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mervzila

Do I need Ableton Live or another software?

Post by Mervzila » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:58 am

Hi

I'm starting a radio show soon (pre-recorded) and looking for a software to produce audio jingles, sweeps etc for the show.

I currently use Serato Scratch Live to mix and record to audacity. The Scratch live software has sample banks so i can use these when mixing

Will Ableton benefit me with producing jingles/edits and does it have descent compressors for "polishing" mixes?

Many Thanks

legbiter

Re: Do I need Ableton Live or another software?

Post by legbiter » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:36 pm

I think you will find Ableton to be a wonderful companion. It is well-organised and you can see what is happening in real time.

It is easy to understand and your clips will help you to duplicate your filter work when making sweeps, rises, etc. You'll be able to see how long they are, when they tail off. You can even use multiple filters simutaneously, see the envelopes working in real time when you use automation. Furthermore, you can also correct out of sync samples by using warping techniques and re-set the pitch attributes. All of which is very visible without having to dig deep into hidden menues.

If you understand MIDI then that will give you some additional and cool ways of designing your own sounds.

Ableton has its own very good studio-grade effect chains. I don't think there is anything else you need, however, I can recommend NI Komplete Ultimate.

When I moved from Cubase to Ableton, it took me a while to understand the processes but I haven't looked back ever since. You could try it out by buying Live intro which is dirt cheap but still very powerful. Live intro has an upgrade coupon, so you don't really lose money.

Shift Gorden

Re: Do I need Ableton Live or another software?

Post by Shift Gorden » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:03 pm

I'd echo what legbiter says.

I use Ableton in my job for editing audio for clients - works perfectly.

Yup, if you get the Suite version, you'll get plenty of synths that can produce sweeps and effects - Operator and Sampler are awesome for that.

And yep, if you know how to use the tools, the stuff Ableton provides can give you the polish you need :)