auto update to 9.6 broke my setup - F*****CK - #URGENT

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
drbtz

auto update to 9.6 broke my setup - F*****CK - #URGENT

Post by drbtz » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:06 am

HEY ALL

Not sure how long auto-update has been an Ableton feature, but it royally screwed me. Broke 2 custom midi remote scripts I had installed.
I have a gig in 2 days, not a fun space to occupy.

Rollback would hopefully fix it, BUT 9.5 is not available in the download archive.

Please remedy this ASAP and answer these questions...
-what (likely) broke the scripts on this update and how can I fix this?
-Am I able to use saved projects from 9.6 in 9.5? (pretty sure I already know the answer is no)
-when did auto update become a feature and
-WHY WHY WHY would you enable this feature BY DEFAULT??????

There are people who work weeks (months, years) to perfect a controller scheme and setup, who rely on this setup to work, and who could be damaged (monetarily, creatively, mentally) by updates that break this setup. I would NEVER consent to receive auto updates for this exact reason, yet somehow one sneaked by the goalie. AND as predicted, it had the EXACT consequence I hoped to prevent by NEVER updating, before addressing stability. compatibility and thoroughly backing up my sets. This feature should require triple consent, with huge warnings advising backup of all files before continuing.

in the name of the god that I don't pray to, get me out this mess!!!
And makes haste, lest I be disgraced.....
The Dr Is In
Ableton 9.5, Win 7, 64 bit, 8gb ram, 128gb SSD system drive, 500gb HHD storage, Sony VAIO Laptop
MF3D, MF-Twister, Queno, KMI Softstep 1.

locojohn

Re: auto update to 9.6 broke my setup - F*****CK - #URGENT

Post by locojohn » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:30 am

I presume you are using a Mac. Because for the Mac version of Live, I was always wondering why custom MIDI Remote Scripts can't be placed in a custom location, for example, "/Users/selffi/Library/Application Support/Ableton/MIDI Remote Scripts" folder? So that new installations don't overwrite them? Instead, they should be put straight into Live bundle, which is a shame.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

Sonic Revolutions

Post by Sonic Revolutions » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:37 am

Also assuming you're on a Mac... No time machine backups?

chrk

Post by chrk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:53 am

Third-party Remote Scripts stop working after a manual Live update. | Ableton

Nothing is lost or overwritten, just not automatically copied. The remote script folder from the previous version should still be there, copy into the new version folder manually.

Lojik

Post by Lojik » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:57 am

I do think it's weird that a large audio company like Ableton would set auto updates to happen by default though when most of us will take a lot of care to not update a stable configuration. At least they're easily turned off!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:23 pm

There was a change to the Python version between L9.5 and L9.6 and many popular 3rd party remote-scripts fell victim. It is my opinion that Ableton should have a developer blog which would be informative in cases like this. "Developer blog post : we updated Python so if your scripts dont work, thats why!" (Would be good eh?)
They prefer publishing interviews with DJs and leave the resolution of broken things to the reviled hidden "community"

So

Possible Solutions:

BEST OPTION - Update - if the scripts are 3rd party, such as Isotonik, Touchable, etc. Then these suppliers have now updated their scripts and you should get the new versions. They will work.

Second slowest - Rollback - Ableton Support (or a knowledgable user) can provide a link to the repository download location for 9.5, this location exists. I'm on a fondleslab right now or I'd dig it out.

Most slow - Update - if you wrote the scripts yourself you'll need one of those people to clue you in what the required change was and you'll have to fix your declarations, or whatever.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:15 pm

Angstrom wrote:It is my opinion that Ableton should have a developer blog...
Not quite what you want, but close: https://twitter.com/AbletonDev

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:45 pm

Tarekith wrote:
Angstrom wrote:It is my opinion that Ableton should have a developer blog...
Not quite what you want, but close: https://twitter.com/AbletonDev
Thanks, I was unaware of that and even though it's small info nuggets - IMO Something is always 100% better than nothing.

I think its best if Ableton back away from the PR strategy of "let's be a shiny impenetrable monolith like Apple". I don't think it's a helpful model for customers.

drbtz

Post by drbtz » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:37 pm

Angstrom wrote: Possible Solutions:

BEST OPTION - Update - if the scripts are 3rd party, such as Isotonik, Touchable, etc. Then these suppliers have now updated their scripts and you should get the new versions. They will work.
Second slowest - Rollback - Ableton Support (or a knowledgable user) can provide a link to the repository download location for 9.5, this location exists. I'm on a fondleslab right now or I'd dig it out.
Most slow - Update - if you wrote the scripts yourself you'll need one of those people to clue you in what the required change was and you'll have to fix your declarations, or whatever.
Thanks for this. Ableton sent me a link to 9.5 this morning already so will try it when home from work.
Unfortunately the scripts are my own, so I will have to revisit and find the way to update them myself. (Anyone know if this is an easy fix or have hints on what is broken?)
Also using a DJ techtools MF twister script that has yet to be updated.

Can anyone answer the question of "will sets saved in 9.6 still open in 9.5?" I will find out one way or another tonight, but I am on edge right now, hoping I didn't accidentally save my set before realizing the update. This is mostly my fault for not backing up and saving incrementally. I have a weekly backup and usually save my sets every 30 minutes (after this incident, I am writing a script to automate this), but last night just got into the heat of things and made a ton of changes without copying.

Stay tuned for status updates and thanks all for the help.
The Dr Is In
Ableton 9.5, Win 7, 64 bit, 8gb ram, 128gb SSD system drive, 500gb HHD storage, Sony VAIO Laptop

drbtz

Post by drbtz » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:42 pm

locojohn wrote:I presume you are using a Mac. Because for the Mac version of Live, I was always wondering why custom MIDI Remote Scripts can't be placed in a custom location, for example, "/Users/selffi/Library/Application Support/Ableton/MIDI Remote Scripts" folder? So that new installations don't overwrite them? Instead, they should be put straight into Live bundle, which is a shame.
Andrejs
I am on windows, just updated my signature, seems it got wiped when my profiles merged.
The Dr Is In

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:58 pm

^ The situation is the same on both OSs anyway. That’s one of the benefits of using autoupdate; any custom scripts you’ve installed stay in place.

Anyway, the major (related) change in 9.6 was that Ableton updated to Python 2.7. FWIW, this is mentioned in the release notes. For the most part, the change should only affect scripts containing compiled files (.pyc) without corresponding source files (.py) as .pyc files only work with the Python version they were compiled for.

If you wrote the script yourself, I would assume you have the source files. In that case, close Live, drop the source files in the script’s folder (delete any compiled files from the folder for good measure), restart Live and you should be good to go. If not, take a look at Live’s Log.txt file as it will likely indicate what the problem with the script is.

drbtz

Post by drbtz » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:55 pm

All is right in the universe again.
I was able to roll back to 9.5 and re-copy scripts. Project was not saved in version 9.6 and opened fine in 9.5, all systems nominal.
FYI, Ableton support confirmed that nearly all versions are NOT backwards compatible (aka a set made/saved with 9.6, will not open with 9.5 or earlier).

On the reinstall, Ableton booted in 9.5 and populated a .Ableton folder next to my install location. Upon Ableton restart, it updated to 9.6 AGAIN.
I uninstalled 9.6, deleted all leftover files, restarted computer, turned off my internet, and reinstalled 9.5, then disabled auto updates, and restated Ableton several times to be sure it was off.

This was a completely avoidable, man made disaster. I think that sux.

:!: To the Ableton team: PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE disable auto update by default. At the very least pop a dialog box saying

"a new version of Ableton is available for download, would you like to install it now? no/yes/remind me later"

Auto update is a great feature and direction to move in, but given the mission critical nature of your software, this should not be forced upon the user in any way (especially accidentally!!!). Let users activate it, let them select it from drop-down, even notify on startup, but GIVE THE OPTION!

You will save many a producer a crushing failure on stage, or a depressive melt down in the studio.

Thanks for the quick resolution on all fronts, ON TO GLORY!!!
The Dr Is In

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:26 pm

You'll need to recompile your home baked scripts in Python 2.7 i believe, then get involved at the beta forum where this issue has been knowledge for a long time...

Cheers
D

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:55 pm

drbtz wrote: :!: To the Ableton team: PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE disable auto update by default. At the very least pop a dialog box saying

"a new version of Ableton is available for download, would you like to install it now? no/yes/remind me later"
I agree completely and I also think it's not too much to ask for that they leave the previous version on-line in case something breaks. Turning off auto-update is one of the first things I do in a new installation, but it's easy to forget.

As for that dialog box, until Ableton implement it — your request for which you should post at Feature Wishlist when you get a chance —  I can recommend Little Snitch where I keep a rule that always put up a dialog box when Live wants to connect to the update servers and keeps me in control at all times for when live and other apps can connect and to where.
You need to train it a bit at first and it's a bit pricey at $29.95, but I think it's worth it because Ableton are unfortunately not alone in wanting to check for or install new versions at inconvenient times.
Make some music!

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Debug your scripts the easy way. Open a Terminal window. Type this command:
tail -f ~/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live\ 9.6/Log.txt | grep RemoteScriptError

Your Terminal window will now echo all errors during compilation (meaning, when you launch Live).

If you want the entire log output, you could also just do this:
tail -f ~/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live\ 9.6/Log.txt

Hit control+c when you're finished.