Sample Library

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
prestondj

Sample Library

Post by prestondj » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:05 pm

Hey i am currently in the process of organising my sample library. Basically just merging all my sample packs into one massive personal sample pack.

When theres a lot of samples i may make a favourites folder in snares, kicks etc.

Very interested to see how other go about this, as i know it can save you a tone of time in worflow :P

beats me

Re: Sample Library

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:25 pm

Creating Apple Loops in Logic because of tagging. * Maschine's library import because tagging. ** Any system that involves you manually moving files around in folders is SHIT.

Hope that helps.

*requires Logic
** requires Maschine

prestondj

Post by prestondj » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:58 pm

Um what? :roll:

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:50 am

I mostly organize mine by Drum samples, Instruments Loops, Drum Loops, Found Sounds, and Other. The only one that has further folders is the Drum Samples one, where I have things in seperate folders for Kicks, Snares, HiHats, etc.

Best advice I can give is only save the samples that you REALLY like. THere's no better way to ruin a good moment making music than trying to scroll through hundreds of snares looking for the 'best' one. I try and limit all my drum samples to my 50 favorite of each kind.

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:21 am

My filing system:

1 folder called Loops 1 (the A list)
1 folder called Loops 2 (any loop that's not outright amazing. I toss those here to keep my Loops 1 folder clutter-free. Then almost never look here.)

1 folder called Sounds 1 (the A list, all converted to .sf2 from Akai, Logic, Yamaha, whatever)
1 folder called Sounds 2 (those anti-social Kontakt, Ueberschall, etc. libraries that won't let themselves be converted to .sf2)

After developing this filing system since the 90's, I find myself using Ableton EIC increasingly instead anyway due to convenience. The more experienced I get, the less the differences between 100 piano sounds seem to matter... it's what one does with the sound that matters.

overflow1

Post by overflow1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:49 am

Wanna buy a sorted Library? just kidding, but seriously I have them in the back if you.....Anyway.....

I know some people hate this but check it out, I really like to use iTunes.

You can create multiple itunes Libraries, by holding alt (on Mac) you can open your "samples" library as oppose to you "mp3's" when you click the icon upon starting the program.

in your "Samples" library you can name multiple items at once, you can use play lists to group things without having multiple versions saved, you can drag and drop in Ableton anywhere AND if you prefer itunes still uses a file structure you can access behind itunes. It saves everything by Artist then Album.

I think its the best way I've tried.

of course everyone's advice here can be applied to this method, its up to you to decide the categories you know

you decide.......good luck

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:11 pm

prestondj wrote:Um what? :roll:

Software that has a tagging browser doesn't care where the samples are on your HD. You could have 50 distorted analog snare samples in 16 different folders but as long as you tag them as "distorted", "analog", and "snare" the browser will display just those samples regardless of where they are on your drive when you pick those attributes.

Trying to sort things manually in customer folders or shortcuts everywhere can get messy quickly and sooner or later you might determine that file structure you created is no longer working for you, especially as your library grows. I believe outside DAW and plugin software AudioFinder on Mac can do this. It would be nice if there was a plugin that did just this for DAWs like Live that don't have this feature builtin.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:20 pm

prestondj wrote:
Very interested to see how other go about this, as i know it can save you a tone of time in worflow :P
I just put them into ~/Library/Audio/Samples and ~/Library/Audio/Impulse Responses sorted according to source. When I do my own sorting I do that in Live presets typically in my User Library. The only samples that I need some kind of sorting of is drum samples. I have begun sorting these into 128s, i e 128 samples of the same type in presets of Sampler quickly selectable with an encoder, except for velocity-switched samples that are sorted differently.

I have about 10.000 drum samples just from Live Suite, packs and third party instruments, so I'll probably not get that much further than where I am now as I've come to understand there are many of these I can safely toss away as there no qualities in them I want to work with. I doubt I'll want to go trough more than a hundred samples to arrive at a selection I want to work with in a song. Lately I've begun doing my own sampling too and I use drum synth plug-ins and other synths for rhythms so I'd be wasting my time "working on my library".

I actually asked in 2014 if people were interested in co-operating on converting the Ableton Live 9 Suite Simpler Kits to Sampler. If this was done in the community everyone (with Sampler) could have shared this approach. No-one came forward and I didn't get that far myself as I never used those kits anyway.
Make some music!

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:38 pm

Chicken Systems Translator will have full Ableton Live export ability added in the 2nd revision from now (estimated to arrive before the end of March, I'm told).

All my 3rd party multisamples available as directly as Ableton's own soundset, no importing steps with Sampler or loading them into a VST... this is big for me.

In other sample library news, it was weird to see a lot of my Live 8 EIC presets disappear when I converted the library to Live 9. Like, half fell off the planet. Glad that episode is over.