Fastest way to get a clip into Simpler?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dylst

Fastest way to get a clip into Simpler?

Post by dylst » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:48 pm

Here is my current workflow, and it seems pretty lame:

I find a sample I like, and I want to throw it into a new track, and into a Simpler.

Currently, I create an Audio track first and drag the sample into it. The only reason I do this is if I go try and grab a Simpler first, I'd forget what sample I wanted. Once I drag the sample to the Audio track, I create a Midi track, add a Simpler, drag the sample from the Audio track into the Simpler, then delete the Audio track.

Is there a quicker way to do this? TIA!

jlgrimes

Re: Fastest way to get a clip into Simpler?

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:04 pm

dylst wrote:Here is my current workflow, and it seems pretty lame:

I find a sample I like, and I want to throw it into a new track, and into a Simpler.

Currently, I create an Audio track first and drag the sample into it. The only reason I do this is if I go try and grab a Simpler first, I'd forget what sample I wanted. Once I drag the sample to the Audio track, I create a Midi track, add a Simpler, drag the sample from the Audio track into the Simpler, then delete the Audio track.

Is there a quicker way to do this? TIA!
If you drag any clip or sample into the device view section of a midi track, Simpler automatically loads up.

Also keep in mind that you can edit your audio in clip view to get the start and ends right before dragging and Simpler should remember those.

dylst

Post by dylst » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:25 pm

Hah! Man... thank you so much. I would always drag the clip directly into the track in arrangement view, and would just get the Midi track converted to Audio. This is going to save me heaps of time. Thanks again.

jonbenderr

Post by jonbenderr » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:42 am

These kinds of questions always baffle me until I learn something I didn't know before.

az82

Post by az82 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 am

For an even faster import, you can Shift+Tab to switch to the device view (if not already), then just double-click the sample (no drag needed)