How to update from 9.1 to latest without 1GB DL?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kolakube

How to update from 9.1 to latest without 1GB DL?

Post by kolakube » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi I got Live 9 suite trail on disk. Its version 9.1.1

I have bought Live 9 standard and awaiting conformation of my education status and whilst I wait I wanted to try out my Push2 that I believe needs 9.5.

The update to version 9.5+ is one gig in size. So whats the point of the disk?

Im not a fan of the internet. Far too time consuming however has uses such as this and, erm, banking and looking at stupid people pouting thinking they look good. As such I use my neighbours connection with his permission as my usage is very light.

Im not wanting to take the water and DL a full gig. Further more I don't se why I have too. Surely the update cannot be a gig in size?

Any help appreciated. No pouting though.

jestermgee

Re: How to update from 9.1 to latest without 1GB DL?

Post by jestermgee » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:51 pm

You need to download it

kolakube

Post by kolakube » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:54 pm

Really? So whats the point of the disk then mate? I mean if I have to download the full thing why not just forego the production costs of the disc and have a download link? How annoying. Im guessing the update from 9.1 to 9.5X will be a few hundred meg tops.

When I get the Live 9 standard code will I have to DL a full gig of data for that too?

(I appreciate I am not the norm and most people these days spend upwards of 10 hours a day online.)

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:09 am

Don't even bother installing whats on the disks, all the packs will be way out of date. There's no versioning system on packs so you'll find yourself just downloading them all anyway. Plus - as I recall the best stuff is online only. Depending on your tastes - eg Latin Percussion is actually a very useful pack.

So, once you have an account on here just download everything you can fromthe site, all the installers, every pack which takes your interest, and then M4L too. Now spend a while activating eveything and wondering if you are doing it right as you bounce back and forth between the app and the website, getting confusing and often contradictory prompts.

This is what we all had to do.

login

Post by login » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:18 am

NO point in physical distribution of software. Just DL the stuff. 1 gig isn't even that much on a home conection fo 10mbps takes at much 20 minutes.

kolakube

Post by kolakube » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:15 am

If there is no point in physical distibution of software howcomes the box alone for ableton sells for £40? There is obviouly a huge demand. For me persoanly, I like a tangible product.

Your connection and how long it takes is fine for you. But I use my neigbours connection as top be honest I find the internet most addictive. Its not about the speed its about the amount of data. 1 gig is not a small download to a light user.

Just seems stupid to me to get a worthless trial disk. Its no use to me who likes tangable produicts as I need 9.5 for push and its no use to you (the admited majority) who would prefer a download anyhow.

Well thanks to both of you for the info. I realise no matter what, I have to download it. May as well use this disk as a tea mat for my cup.

Cheers

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:23 am

The box also comes with a hard copy of the manual, which is another reason for the additional cost FWIW.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:19 pm

Yep, I think most people consider the boxed version to be "A Hard-copy manual, in a box with complimentary futuristic frisbees"

It doesn't always work out well though. Back when I bought Komplete 6 it was a boxed version, and what a joke that was. A housebrick of "getting started" guides for each of the 8 products, each manual in 27 languages. Not a single useful toilet book amongst them. I fancied a nice Reaktor Bible to sit by the crapper, but no, NI sent me 8 kilos of recycling. I now know how to say "insert the CD and click the install icon" in Farsi, Malayalam and Uzbeki.

I think you can just order the Ableton Live hard-copy manual on its own, without the frisbees.
The Live manual has always been well written, and these days it's actually worth reading because there are many hidden secrets. In the old days it was more WYSIWYG.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:53 pm

The documentation people at Ableton have really stepped things up the last couple years, lots of great refinements in the manuals. It's not nearly as hard to get through as early version could be.

login

Post by login » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:30 pm

The printed copy is not even updated to 9.5 I believe.

In your case OP maybe go to Starbucks or other bussiness which provides internet for their customers and download there if you don't wanna use your neighbours connection.

Live gets a updates every few months and it updates it self automatically, that in fact is the way to get as few data as possible for updates (aoround 70 mb) instead of downloading the 700mb installer, but since 9.5 had so many changes it wasn't an auto update.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Tarekith wrote:The documentation people at Ableton have really stepped things up the last couple years, lots of great refinements in the manuals. It's not nearly as hard to get through as early version could be.
I've always thought they were pretty good.
I guess I came onboard around 4/5 and there was a lot less to learn!