Find logic combinations of chords...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Wakeon

Find logic combinations of chords...

Post by Wakeon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:19 pm

Hey everybody!!
I'm a little bit desperate today. Indeed, I try to find chords which are good between them, a combination of chords but I don't know how to do to chords that do well together. Do you have some tips, or some rules to help me in that situation :)?
Thanks a lot!!

stoersignal

Re: Find logic combinations of chords...

Post by stoersignal » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:56 pm

looks like you need to get into theory a bit :)
sorry, i don`t have a better answer which would fit in this thread. it`s very complex, but it`s also very rewarding if you get into it

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:57 pm

Yeah, like stoersignal said, you just need to learn, mate! Use YouTube, mate.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:02 pm

Find a pop song you like.

Look up the chords.

Copy them and see what you can do with them for your own music.
You don't even need the chords of the whole song. Just your favorite parts, or something that accidentally sounds good.

In the meantime, learn the concept of a scale and chord progressions.
If you read something and it makes no sense, keep reading further. Then go back and start over. When you read about music stuff, have a keyboard available to try it. Otherwise you'll never learn it.
Try going back to your old posts and learn from those.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Just slap the chord and scale plugins on a track. Done. Bunch of dinosaurs on here thinking you need to know theory to make great music. Top earning EDM artists are some of the most theory ignorant people ever born and they’ll proudly admit it. FACT. :)

klangsulfat

Post by klangsulfat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:05 pm

Wakeon wrote:Indeed, I try to find chords which are good between them, a combination of chords but I don't know how to do to chords that do well together. Do you have some tips, or some rules to help me in that situation :)?
This tool is your friend: http://feelyoursound.com/sundog/

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:01 pm

I guess I take inversions for granted.

I suggest also learning what an inversion of a chord is and how to do it. It's a really simple concept and very helpful in helping chords go well together.

Sometimes people say two chords go together really well, but when you try to use them it sounds super rigid and unnatural. It jumps from one to the other. Inversions help smooth things out so you'll still be doing the chords, but they won't be abruptly hopping from one chord to another. In a sense, it is like giving you more than one option for each single chord. If you imagine a jigsaw puzzle, and the pieces don't compliment eachother, this is sort of like turning the piece around and then discovering the piece fits, just from a different side.

Instead of explaining it, I'll suggest that you search for it, but also look at the video which is a great application of it. (note: if you want chord practice, you should just copy this chord progression and save it for a track you make down the road, or use it as a starting point and change one or two chords when making new material)
http://youtu.be/wveL6zubr1Q

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:54 am

I recommend to get into this. It's general knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjqy_vKXmT8
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

vondersulzburg

Post by vondersulzburg » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:22 pm

shlomo

Post by shlomo » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:41 pm

beats me wrote:Top earning EDM artists are some of the most theory ignorant people ever born and they’ll proudly admit it. FACT. :)
people have always been proud about their ignorance :lol:

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:33 pm

beats me wrote:Top earning EDM artists are some of the most theory ignorant people ever born and they’ll proudly admit it. FACT. :)
That's supposed to be a point? I don't give a f*** what any EDM f***tw*** do. All I care about is the song. Plug-ins don't write tracks. Taste does no matter the style. I think taste is a talent.

That said, any tool that helps you — the general you — write what you think are great songs, is the right tool. For you.
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:37 pm

Not chords per se, but a nice tool possibly: Counterpointer
Make some music!

shlomo

Post by shlomo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:22 am

this might get you up and running too

http://fabriziopoce.com/progressive.html

ChangoM

Post by ChangoM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:48 am

shlomo wrote:this might get you up and running too
http://fabriziopoce.com/progressive.html
+1 on J74 Progressive. Great way to help learn music theory, train your ear, and create harmony within Live using Live instruments, effects, etc. Spend a few hours reading the excellent manual and you'll be off and running.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:22 pm

Stromkraft wrote:
That's supposed to be a point? I don't give a f*** what any EDM f***tw*** do. All I care about is the song. Plug-ins don't write tracks. Taste does no matter the style. I think taste is a talent.

That said, any tool that helps you — the general you — write what you think are great songs, is the right tool. For you.

The point is learning theory isn’t always the answer and there are tools that make it so you don’t have to. There are plenty of non-EDM artists out there that also don’t know theory but are creating great tracks.

I just said EDM artists because they are currently the top dog and more than likely the reason new users pickup Live.