Hardware (setting up???)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scottymac

Hardware (setting up???)

Post by scottymac » Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:56 am

Hello guys

Please could someone help me configure my hardware set up with Ableton please?

I have just purchased a novation bass station and three guitar pedals, distortion, reverb and delay. I also have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, some monitors and a mac book pro. I have a few things I'd like to achieve using this equipment if possible.

1.My aim just to start off is to trigger the NBS via midi patterns in Ableton and run it through the distortion pedal.

2. My second aim is to be able to use the pedals as send fx, so I can assign the sends in Ableton to a midi controller and send the signal to an outboard fx unit.

I don't want to overcrowd myself with too much as I'm just starting to learn about hardware and I'd like to learn the basic fundamentals so I can then exploit them with some experimentation.

Thanks in advance guys

Scott

Lojik

Re: Hardware (setting up???)

Post by Lojik » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:17 am

1) Connect the Bass Station via USB, that is your MIDI connection. That will allow you to send MIDI information from the knobs and keys to Ableton to record MIDI clips. It will also allow you to send MIDI from clips back to the Bass Station.

2) In order to hear any sound, connect the Mono output of the Bass Station to a line input on the Saffire. You can go from Bass Station -> Distortion pedal -> Saffire if you want. Make sure you mute the Bass Station input in the Focusrite Mixcontrol software (you will be monitoring through Ableton).

3) To use the pedals as an effect send connect any line output (other than 1-2 which is used for your monitors) to the input of the pedal, and the output of the pedal to another line input on the saffire.

4) Make sure input track and remote are turned on for the Bass Station in Ableton's MIDI preferences, and that all inputs and outputs are activated.

5) You can now add a MIDI track with an external audio instrument, sending the MIDI to the Bass station and the audio from whatever line input you connected it to. You can also add an external audio effect with the audio input and output set as wherever you connected the pedals.

Note that some guitar pedals are not able to handle line inputs (either level or impedance) in which case you will need to use a reamp box like this:

Line output -> reamp box -> guitar pedal -> line input

scottymac

Re: Hardware (setting up???)

Post by scottymac » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Thanks for the instruction my friend it is greatly appreciated.