What's your Live controller and why?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scoopneck

What's your Live controller and why?

Post by scoopneck » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:57 pm

In the market, so convince me to be the amazing controller in your setup.
Macbook Pro 2.7 / 10.13.6
Universal Audio Apollo 8P & Twin Quad
Novation Launchkey 49 MKII
Live Suite 10.1.15 / Max 7.3.5 / Pro Tools 2018.4 / lots of real instruments, mics, preamps, and effects

M-bition

Re: What's your Live controller and why?

Post by M-bition » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:15 pm

Maybe not what you are looking for:
Lemur

Midi controller for your tablet. You can create and program multiple templates/setups like having multiple controllers.
Downside for me is not having real knobs and faders.
For having more precision and feel I use some "real" controllers although I saw some knobs you could probably stick on your tablet.

Wakeon

Post by Wakeon » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Launchpad Pro S
Lot of options :)

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:50 pm

I like the Novation remote (number of keys)sl mkii.

Displays parameters on the screen
Has great faders, endless endorsers, absolute encoders, lots of light up buttons, the keys are very nice.

I have a 25, but wish I had more keys.

The xy pad on it is near useless, and the drum pads aren't really too great for drumming.

Has automap also, which is a nice bonus but I hardly use it when the Control Surface mode generally covers my needs.

I use it to arm(arm selects)/mute channels, do mixer volume fading and control parameters mostly.

I also love the launchpad with lp95, Push (currently have a 1), the APC 40, and a Maschine. All of which are extremely versatile in their own ways.

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:11 pm

apc40mk1, push 1 and a midi keyboard photonX25

scoopneck

Post by scoopneck » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:21 pm

The most difficult thing is that they all seem nearly exactly the same, but I am certain that they are not. Years ago, I used the M-Audio Axiom line, and liked it, but now there are so many other options that are not simply keyboard controllers. Although I want a keyboard, I'm very interested in some sort of Launchpad-type alternative as well.
Live Suite 10.1.15 / Max 7.3.5 / Pro Tools 2018.4 / lots of real instruments, mics, preamps, and effects

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:31 pm

scoopneck wrote:In the market, so convince me to be the amazing controller in your setup.
The original Push with PXT Live scripts, because this combo is very versatile, reasonably complete and now I know it. I record MIDI instruments from the pads, control VSTs, external gear and effects from the encoders, loop points, locators, recording, sequencing and so on. I think I'd like a (semi)weighted keyboard as well just because it's different. As I used to be a guitar player the Push is really fitting and I play pads with my left hand and control encoders and other controls with my right.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:52 am

Push 2 here, tight integration and it just works for me. Feels great too, I like my tools to feel like solid instruments these days, cheap plastic drives me nuts.

ZaBong69

Post by ZaBong69 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:08 am

Push 1. Hardly can be separated with it.

It just works for me as I do not need to use another power adapter. Its 80s "controlling soviet atomic missiles" display works fine on USB alone - which comes as a big bonus when you make most of your music in old-school hotel rooms where you have to detach the lamp on the table to get a power outlet for your laptop.

K

Mister Natural

Post by Mister Natural » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:54 pm

similar to Yur2, I have the Novation ReMoteSL - love the sliders and buttons but primarily 'cause the keys FEEL great. I played with several other brands and all felt like toys compared to the ReMote. I also dig the joystick as opposed to other brands usage of mod and pitch wheels

I've had a couple different versions of the Launchpad & feel they're primarily for stage use, not studio (which is all I do these days)
I also had a TriggerFinger2 recently and sold it. Again; if I were on stage, I would do cool things with it

peace
an expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
#smile

mrdelurk

Post by mrdelurk » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:19 am

88 key synth, PC keyboard and trackball.

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:42 pm

If I had to recommend just one controller...probably Push 2 for the reasons Tarakith said.

It's made for Ableton, and is a breeze to use. Build quality is insanely good. You can use it for writing, producing and mixing. All native Ableton synths and plugins and wonderfully integrated.

störgeräusche

Post by störgeräusche » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:54 pm

push2, novation launch control XL and launch control.
i need faders, and a lot of knobs.
both in the studio and on stage.
soundcloud
website

Live Suite 9 - Komplete 9 - Waldorf Largo & Edition - Elektron Analog Rytm - Push 1&2- Launch Control & XL -
Adam P33A

dr_loop

Post by dr_loop » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:29 am

Novation ReMOTE 25SL
A whole lot of control in a small footprint, and (relativly) easy to program to your liking (no I don't mean Automap)
(And it was dirt cheap)

KeithMcMillan QuNeo
bougth as kind of 'Poor Man's Push'. Actually not really a Live Controller, but a really great, if somewhat finicky, musical instrument (more like 'Poor Man's Linnstrument')

scoopneck

Post by scoopneck » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'm leaning towards a Akai MPK249 now...or maybe I should go with a less expensive keyboard and some sort of button-y/knob-y-only thing. Thoughts?