Feature request that has been ignored for over 6 years

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rich garside

Feature request that has been ignored for over 6 years

Post by rich garside » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:44 pm

Ableton was the first piece of music software that I learned six years ago and it inspired me for what was possible in the software world.

So when I see feature requests that havent been addressed for over six years it really fucking pisses me off.

When I was learning my way around the routing system in Ableton initially, I figured out group tracks as its quite a simple thing. The very next thing that i do is intuitively and instinctively go to place two subgroups within the same group and it does nothing. I mess about with it for a while then google it and to my disappointment realise that its not possible so I ignore it and move on safe in the knowledge they will more than likely implement it at some point as its an obvious thing and its such an innovative piece of software so why wouldn't they?

Well fast forwards 6 years and they still haven't. On the plus side however i can hook my software up to a lego robot.

So my question is when are you going to start implementing serious music production feature requests that people have been asking for for years? Because to me as a serious produce your software looks like a joke now compared to Bitwig and Bitwig is still on version 1 and is only 2 years old so your really actually not doing something right...

You inspired me and gave me the world inside my computer. But you havent developed your software at the rate I have developed as a producer. You have fallen way behind.

Its unstable and lacks basic feature requests which people have been asking for for years. The macro mapping system is so basic. The midi implementation is rubbish.

I have worked with software developers for years in other industries and I know whats reasonably achievable in terms of resource and time frame. What the fuck do you even do? You have so much resource what the fuck do you actually do?

Im going to finish this GUI that im building in Max for live and use it in conjunction with Bitwig as my main DAW. Fingers crossed with a bit of luck there wont be anything else that I need to do in Max again because I would really rather not have to use your software.

Please stop continually disappointing me and implement genuinely useful features for MUSIC PRODUCERS. And don't take another flipping 5 years to do it either. Ill be retired by the time you get your shit together.

Cheers

Rich

sonik777

Re: Feature request that has been ignored for over 6 years

Post by sonik777 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:24 pm

I'll add:

Native convolution reverb, and LFO devices.

Comping

Improved MIDI implementation and editing.

Being able to see in detail multiple tracks at once, at least two!

A row of freely assignable buttons somewhere would be cool too.

Sandboxed VST implementation that doesn't crash the whole program. Maybe this is asking too much...

Being able to swap clips (not hot swap) in ONE step. Ok maybe there is a way to do this already?
Last edited by sonik777 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rich garside

Post by rich garside » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:22 pm

What do you mean seeing different tracks at once? Apologies for the aggressive tone in the initial post i'm pretty hung over and half my shit isn't working lol.

Automatable clips on master, return and group channels as well thats a big one I left off.

Again looking back at what it was like to first learn the software initially it became apparent that staying in the clip mode as long as possible and building up an arrangement from there could yield interesting and creative results. So naturally at some point your going to try and put an automation clip on a group, master or aux return but you cant. This makes a hell of a lot of sense from a work flow perspective. Automation data thats recorded in arrangement mode on a group track gets lost when you move it back to session view. This is nonsensical. All automation features present in arrangement mode should obviously be present in session mode so you can seamlessly work between the two. This is a big set back and is something which works flawlessly in Bitwig. I used to do all sorts of routing work arounds to address this and frankly its just unnecessary when all of this logical routing, grouping and flexibility is already implemented natively in Bitwig.

Also one parameter being locked to a particular midi control is not nearly as useful as the midi implementation in Bitwig where unlimited controlls can automate unlimited parameters and also a button can trigger a specific parameter value e.g 200 hz on a HP filter creating a dj style eq kill switch in less than a second.

Also the Max param modualtion system is very weak compared to bitwig. Max mod system fully takes over a parameter where as in Bitwig they remain independant so you can still tweak the original parameter. Its much easier to find the sweet spot this way.

Have both audio and midi on the same track is pretty amazing in Bitwig. You can just bounce a synth in place on the midi track and deactive the instrument if its eating the CPU. Thats a lovely feature.

Plugin sandboxing is also amazing.

When you use a piece of software daily after a while you sort of just accept the way things are and when you move on to something else thats addressed all of those things it just annoys me now when I think about it.

Ableton are you happy that someone else has essentially built a business by addressing all of your short falls and actually responding to user feature requests?

Is your business plan built on convincing students that they need to make a synthesiser out of a kettle and turnip while a lego man dances in sync in order to be original?

sonik777

Post by sonik777 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:37 pm

I meant being able to have a detailed & editable view of multiple tracks waveform/warping or midi stuff. Probably a pop out window that you can move around.

Oh and a more customizable Track Focus system for controllers.

xbitz

Post by xbitz » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:12 pm

there is unlimited subgroupping with containers (independent per "group" sends as is in Bitwig would be nice ofc. or as is in the drum rack)

I miss the others from the requested feature list

so they can see what we need, hope the bests with Live X

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:26 pm

rich garside wrote:Ableton was the first piece of music software that I learned six years ago and it inspired me for what was possible in the software world.

So when I see feature requests that havent been addressed for over six years it really fucking pisses me off.

When I was learning my way around the routing system in Ableton initially, I figured out group tracks as its quite a simple thing. The very next thing that i do is intuitively and instinctively go to place two subgroups within the same group and it does nothing. I mess about with it for a while then google it and to my disappointment realise that its not possible so I ignore it and move on safe in the knowledge they will more than likely implement it at some point as its an obvious thing and its such an innovative piece of software so why wouldn't they?

Well fast forwards 6 years and they still haven't. On the plus side however i can hook my software up to a lego robot.

So my question is when are you going to start implementing serious music production feature requests that people have been asking for for years? Because to me as a serious produce your software looks like a joke now compared to Bitwig and Bitwig is still on version 1 and is only 2 years old so your really actually not doing something right...

You inspired me and gave me the world inside my computer. But you havent developed your software at the rate I have developed as a producer. You have fallen way behind.

Its unstable and lacks basic feature requests which people have been asking for for years. The macro mapping system is so basic. The midi implementation is rubbish.

I have worked with software developers for years in other industries and I know whats reasonably achievable in terms of resource and time frame. What the fuck do you even do? You have so much resource what the fuck do you actually do?

Im going to finish this GUI that im building in Max for live and use it in conjunction with Bitwig as my main DAW. Fingers crossed with a bit of luck there wont be anything else that I need to do in Max again because I would really rather not have to use your software.

Please stop continually disappointing me and implement genuinely useful features for MUSIC PRODUCERS. And don't take another flipping 5 years to do it either. Ill be retired by the time you get your shit together.

Cheers

Rich

I will add that pretty much every DAW manufacturer ignore features to a certain point. But then at the same time most new DAW versions pretty much always showcase new features that were the result of customer input.

It does suck though that alot of stuff we want seems to get ignored, but at the same time only so much can be put into an update.

I will chime in to say that Ableton has added plenty of stuff lately that seemed to get ignored for years (e.g. full PDC, Slicing/Timestretch in Simpler).

But that said with things such as VST3 support and Comping, it does seem like stuff gets ignored but that doesn't always mean that they are not working on it and figuring out what release to put it in.

mekanism1200

Post by mekanism1200 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:57 am

I would be content with a more stable/faster software experience at this point. 9.6 has been great so far but it still takes a while to load things, and still lags when running many midi instruments. I would like to see multi-touch support like Bitwig. Bounce in place would be nice as well and more advanced clip fade options.

It really doesnt matter though, Ableton thinks they are the Apple of DAW's and want to be as tight lipped as they can about future updates. :roll:

login

Post by login » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:29 am

Please move to bitwig, be happy there :)

rich garside

Post by rich garside » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:32 pm

Yeah I forgot about that one. In clip audio editing. Well obvious feature. The lack on in clip editing means that the user has to navigate between session and arrangement to edit samples. The ableton subgrouping thing isnt as intuitive as just banging them in a group and each having independant sends as in bitwig. As it goes producing on live 8.2 on my old dell was one of the most fluid and reliable work flows I have had. 8.2 worked better on my dell than 9 on a top spec 2013 mac book which was frustrating to be honest. I was really tempted to go back to 8.2 but im too dependant on clip automation.

I do still love ableton actually im in a better mood now. I just literally never use it coz its inferior to bitwig for dance music production.