Is it possible to timestretch a sample in Simpler manually?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
4T

Is it possible to timestretch a sample in Simpler manually?

Post by 4T » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:52 pm

For example say I want to timestrecth a sample by playing solely with it's length but keeping the same pitch?

I'm aware that with warping, I can double the length or slow it down using the :2 or x2 commands but what if I want to timestretch to somehwere in between? I'm also aware that in clips, I can create warp markers and drag the markers but what about for single samples at the Simpler level?

I used to use FXpansion Giest and it had a knob that did exactly that, lengthing or shortening by manaul adjustment but keping pitch.

Am I missing something obvious here?
Former MPC & Maschine User.

jlgrimes

Re: Is it possible to timestretch a sample in Simpler manually?

Post by jlgrimes » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:23 pm

4T wrote:For example say I want to timestrecth a sample by playing solely with it's length but keeping the same pitch?

I'm aware that with warping, I can double the length or slow it down using the :2 or x2 commands but what if I want to timestretch to somehwere in between? I'm also aware that in clips, I can create warp markers and drag the markers but what about for single samples at the Simpler level?

I used to use FXpansion Giest and it had a knob that did exactly that, lengthing or shortening by manaul adjustment but keping pitch.

Am I missing something obvious here?

I wonder this as well. I know Impulse does this.

4T

Post by 4T » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:55 pm

So it's confirmed that it's only possible via Impulse. What a pain for a program so "advanced" as Ableton when it comes to flexi audio.

So let me get this right:
Impulse has timestretching capability that Simpler or Sampler doesn't have.

Simpler is a simplified cut down Sampler but has features that Sampler doesn't have (slicing & playback modes)

Which means that Sampler, Abletons most complete all round & "full" featured Sampler can't do things that both Impulse AND Simpler can do?

makes plenty sense :roll:
Former MPC & Maschine User.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:44 pm

To be fair, Sampler can do time stretching similarly to Impulse, but it requires some mod-routing.

Simpler's 'stretching' is a different form of stretch than Impulse and has multiple stretch-types. So that means that it is not the same Type of stretch as in Impulse and ought to not be compared to it.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:26 pm

I'm imagining Sampler is due for a major overhaul in the next update. Simpler's update was during a 9.5 update and before then it was clearly less featured than Sampler. I think the biggest reason for the Simpler update was to make Push more competitive. Probably wasn't enough time to do the same stuff for Sampler, which Im thinking by version 10, they will update Sampler to make it clearly more featured than Simpler.

Hopefully someone at Ableton decides to come up with an Easy timestretch effect.

IMO Impulse is a somewhat "legacy" device since drum Racks but the main thing Impulse has is the built in Saturation and crude Timestretch over Drum Racks (which is a cool effect).