free play?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oneth

free play?

Post by oneth » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:40 pm

is it possible sequencer free playback? or any simple trick to avoid exact rhythmic repetition? I just want all tracks or scenes goes on loop freely without paused start, restart or other methods that introduce organized system.

stuartm

Re: free play?

Post by stuartm » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:09 am

Use session mode.
Set global quantisation to "None".
Trigger the clips freely.
Make sure clips have different lengths.

oneth

Post by oneth » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:16 am

stuartm wrote:Use session mode.
Set global quantisation to "None".
Trigger the clips freely.
Make sure clips have different lengths.
Unfortunatelly this doesn't work, each loop sounds the same as previous one. Sound must change randomly over the time

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:11 pm

oneth wrote:Unfortunatelly this doesn't work, each loop sounds the same as previous one. Sound must change randomly over the time
That's quite different to "free playback".
Then you should look more into modulations, either in your sound sources (e.g. plug-ins) or in effects on the tracks.
A key thing for randomness would of course be modulating the modulations, e.g. controlling an LFO's speed with another LFO.

You might want to look into M4L devices for that as well.

Are you using audio or MIDI clips?

oneth

Post by oneth » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:15 am

I'm using audio clips and want to avoid any pitch or time modulation. From your description It sound bit complicated

Hmm . . why you think this is not simply free playback? Probably because of my bad explanation. Here an concrete example: If I have 3 samples of different length looping endlessly, I got randomly changing composition over the time, isn't it? So from my point of view playback is not free because it is determined by sequencer, or some time stretching methods I want to avoid.

oneth

Post by oneth » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:27 am

Sorry, everything works! Thanks for help and so on . . .

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:46 pm

oneth wrote: If I have 3 samples of different length looping endlessly, I got randomly changing composition over the time, isn't it? .
How is that random? The evolution of the shifting loops are predetermined based on their length.

And if this is all you want, what is stopping you?
Make some music!