New user - how to move clip launch positions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
insch

New user - how to move clip launch positions

Post by insch » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm new to Ableton and just getting my head around it. I have what is a really simple question. I'd like to be able to change the start (launch) times of a few of my clips in one of my pieces. I can't see where to do that. I just want the clip to trigger say 1 or 2 beats later in the bar. I don't want to start playing later within the sample and I don't want to change the section that loops.

e.g 4 bar long CLIP 3 should trigger on beat 3 of every bar but currently triggers on beat 1. I'd also like to move the launch point of 8 bar long CLIP 6 so it starts 2 bars later putting it in sync with the piece on its 8 bar cycle.

Any advice on where to set this up gratefully received.

Thanks.

yur2die4

Re: New user - how to move clip launch positions

Post by yur2die4 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Have it launch at the same time as everything else,

But have the 'start' of the clip occur however many beats prior.

Automate the volume so that it is muted until that point.

If you want it to stay unmuted going forward, unlink the automation from the clip and make it loop only the unmuted part for the automation line.

insch

Re: New user - how to move clip launch positions

Post by insch » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:34 pm

Thank you - I'll try that

I'm taking a whole bunch of tracks across from another DAW - should I bounce down each audio clip from the start of the bar even though it might not sound until beat 2 or 3? And then set any loops in Ableton to start from where the bounced clip actually sounds later in the bar? If Ableton always syncs clips to the first beat in the bar I guess this is the correct workflow?

Thanks