drum rack - return track - send

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
derf07

drum rack - return track - send

Post by derf07 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:59 pm

hello. We can create return tracks in drum rack. Every track possesses a send. It is grey. To what is it of use ?
Thank you.

ShelLuser

Re: drum rack - return track - send

Post by ShelLuser » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:14 pm

derf07 wrote:hello. We can create return tracks in drum rack. Every track possesses a send. It is grey. To what is it of use ?
Hi there!

Yeah, the feature to actually send something will become available as soon as you add an effect. I assume that you're referring to the small 's' icon in the lower left corner of the drum rack?

Here's what you can do: Once you added a drum rack and also some sounds be sure to have the chains listed (using the chain icon at the left; its the middle one). Now click the 'R' button (below the S); this will open the return effect section. As the hint implies just drop an audio effect in there, a reverb for example.

After you've done that you'll see that the 's' icon will become available. Click it and the 'send-a' should appear behind the chain(s) you have added. Now it's simple: setting a value for the send will determine how much of the signal should be send to the audio effect.

Hope this helps!
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 9 Suite, Max5 / M4l and Reason 6.5.
Blog: SynthFan

derf07

Post by derf07 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:22 pm

Thank you. It is difficult for me explaind my problem. I don't speak english.
I don't understand what is the sends (which are grey) that we can see in effects tracks install in the drum rack (not the sends which are in the tracks of the instruments simpler).Where are the signals of these effects tracks are managed?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:10 pm

derf07 wrote:Thank you. It is difficult for me explaind my problem. I don't speak english.
I don't understand what is the sends (which are grey) that we can see in effects tracks install in the drum rack (not the sends which are in the tracks of the instruments simpler).Where are the signals of these effects tracks are managed?
They're managed inside the drum rack and a send on a rack chain, which is the same as a pad in a drum rack, is sent to any internal return effects inside the rack or alternatively the send signal can be forwarded to the regular returns.

Here's a video by Rob Jones demonstrating the concepts. Maybe easier than words for you?
Using Sends in Drum Racks - Tutorial from Rob Jones
Last edited by Stromkraft on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

derf07

Post by derf07 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:25 am

Thank you Stromkraft.It is much easier; but this is a monitoring of Live complexe.