The reason why Collect all and save is not 100% reliable?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lapieuvre

The reason why Collect all and save is not 100% reliable?

Post by lapieuvre » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:28 am

Hi I have a project that I share between 2 computers, and when I transfer the full project to the other computer, I got a lot of missing files.

I locate the folder they are in (well they are inside the project folder!) then hit automatic search (go button) and Live still doesn't find the files.

I have to resolve each file manually

I tried the project on 2 different computers and got the same problem

Any Ideas?
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

Stromkraft

Re: The reason why Collect all and save is not 100% reliable?

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:20 pm

lapieuvre wrote:Hi I have a project that I share between 2 computers, and when I transfer the full project to the other computer, I got a lot of missing files.

I locate the folder they are in (well they are inside the project folder!) then hit automatic search (go button) and Live still doesn't find the files.

Any Ideas?
Investigate your file structure carefully. I used to have similar issues until I got deep into my file and folder structure and fixed. We only use OS X so it's easier I guess.
Make some music!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:24 am

Do you have the same live packs installed on both computers? Did you check all of the options when selecting collect all and save?

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:40 am

I have no choice of the computers I work with. The show computers are PC, and my laptop is a Mac.

I finally found the problem: When I did the stems, I Batch exported them. Since I only wanted the name of the tracks to show in my filenames, I put a space in the save as dialog box, so the filename would be: "[space]Name of track". Example track 1 is called 1-conga (name of the song), track 2is called 2-Bass (name of the song) so when I reimport the stems in my master set, I easily find the instruments, and they are named exactly like I named my tracks.

The problem when I transfer the files from one computer to another, the space disappears, so Live doesn't recognize the files anymore!

So one more thing learned, next time I batch export audio, I'll use the underscore _ instead of the space!
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo