Point me in the right direction please?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thehappydwarf

Point me in the right direction please?

Post by thehappydwarf » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:48 pm

Hey guys, I desperately need help. First off, I'm on an iMac (3.2ghz processor, 16gb RAM) running Live 9 and I recently upgraded the Os X to El Capitan and it seems since I did that, after a couple hours in the studio, ableton kinda skips almost and slows down into a growl until its almost silent. This might be unrelated to the Os X upgrade but I feel I saw a pattern there. Can anyone help?

ObtuseMoose

Re: Point me in the right direction please?

Post by ObtuseMoose » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:11 pm

Hard to say what the problem might be.

First thing I would do is check to see if your audio interface is supported under OS X 10.11 or if new drivers are available for it.

Did this problem show up immediately after upgrading the OS? IIRC, the El Cap upgrade continues to make changes and "optimize" things for a while after it looks like it's done. Plus, I think Spotlight reindexes everything on the HDD after an upgrade (but don't remember where I might have read that.) If those are the problems, it should eventually go away (although I would think it would be done within a few hours after upgrading.)

Otherwise, standard troubleshooting techniques apply. Open up Activity Monitor and see what processes are using a lot of CPU and/or memory. Shut down other apps (Mail, Messages, Facetime, iCloud backup, etc.) to see if that helps. Try increasing the audio buffer size in Live. Etc.

--
Moose
"all the musical ability of a blocked nostril"

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:07 pm

thehappydwarf wrote:Hey guys, I desperately need help. First off, I'm on an iMac (3.2ghz processor, 16gb RAM) running Live 9 and I recently upgraded the Os X to El Capitan and it seems since I did that, after a couple hours in the studio, ableton kinda skips almost and slows down into a growl until its almost silent. This might be unrelated to the Os X upgrade but I feel I saw a pattern there. Can anyone help?
Which audio interface? What buffer latency settings do you use?

I generally recommend making a clean install of OS X 10.11 El Capitan. This means you will need to backup all your data, reformat and re-install everything including apps, licenses, activations and updates. The upside is the control and insight you gain from a clean installation.

A clean installation is how I moved to El Capitan from 10.9 Mavericks. To me 10.11 is the best version of OS X ever. Yhough I did have to make some adjustments to make old hardware drivers work.

Now when you already have migrated you could first investigate the the usual suspects, like audio interface, buffer settings, CPU load, updates of plug-ins and so on.
Make some music!

giffinmusic

Post by giffinmusic » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:38 am

Hey, updates with OS X can be tricky. I personally still use Mavericks on my computer. Are you still experiencing issues with your computer getting "slow"? Does it only freeze up when launching audio within Ableton? Is your DSP meter in the upper-right corner of ableton in the red or above 60-70%? If so, it could simply be that you need to adjust your buffer size...