Just starting.Thoughts on the gear I got?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
FreeHouseCleaning

Just starting.Thoughts on the gear I got?

Post by FreeHouseCleaning » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:48 pm

Hey guys,
So I have been wanting to do this for a LONG time. I am a complete beginner.
I had about 300$ to spend. Although I ended up going 50$ over. I am just curious if There is anything you think i should return/replace/or dont need.
I bought the things I did because of the deals I got on them and what I thought would use.
One: I got the Launchkey 25 mkii because I really thought I would want to learn and play some keyboard.
Picked it up new for 100$

Two: I got my hands on a new Akai MPD 32 for only 90$. I wanted something that would simulate the drum rack in ableton and also be able to customize effects.

Three: I got a brand new bundle that when it came out I believe was around 700$. Its an Ableton EDM Bundle.
It comes with:
Akai APC20 controller
Full version of Ableton Live 8 (Also Full upgrade to Live 9 free)

Free instructional course
Dubspot 30 | 30 Lesson Series

And some exta plugin software:
Stutter Edit
LFOTOOL
Electronica and Dubstep Collection
Wobble
Action Pack
I picked this up unopened/new for 150(168 after shipping costs)

I really didn't plan on spending that much money to start but I got the bundle because I really liked the idea of getting the full version of Ableton 9
I was a little worried about the APC20 and thats what I wanted the most input on. Should I sell it and get a Launchpad? Or what? Or is it worth keeping?

I love dance and house and that's what I want to produce for fun.

Thank you!

login

Re: Just starting.Thoughts on the gear I got?

Post by login » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Well, first I think you should have asked before buying, but anyway:

25 keys is not enough to learn to play keys, 49 is the minimun. You can't even use both hands on 25 keys.

APC20: not usefull at all for a beginner, it is for live performance, not for composing.

Mpd32: horrible pads that you will likely need to upgrade, there a re kits around the web for this. There are also scripts to increase their functionality if you keep it at www.nativekontrol.com

With those 300 USD a way better option was getting Push1 second hand.

FreeHouseCleaning

Post by FreeHouseCleaning » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:01 pm

Even though I got full ableton 9 out of it? Plus the extra features?
(Literally the only reason I got the package with the APC20)
And I wanted the keyboard to learn chords and chord progressions I will be manually putting in notes more than playing them live recording.

login

Post by login » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:49 pm

Yeah, full live 9 is a good offer, specially if you got suite.

But in the beginning I would give priority to composing and having fun, and for that Push would be a superior choice even if you just get it with Intro.

Any way, you still have a apc20, an MPD and a launchkey, personally I think Push is a better "all in one" solution than those three controllers together.

Precisionguided

Post by Precisionguided » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:21 am

If you're composing and playing around, the launchpad might be a better option, especially if you don't want to spend for push. You can do fine with what you got though. Just have fun and watch some tutorials and experiment.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:28 am

I looked up that "EDM bundle" looks like it's just Live Standard. The stuff you've got is fine for starting out, unless you're willing to sell off something and then spend *more* money to replace it with something better i.e. APC -> Push, you'll do fine just getting started and figuring out what you need. If you're doing EDM stuff, you probably don't need a full keyboard, it's not like you're likely to be programming in chords and melodies at the same time anyway. Stop worrying about what you need, because what you need is to get started learning the software and how to make music.

FreeHouseCleaning

Post by FreeHouseCleaning » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:34 pm

I appreciate all the input! thank you!
I have been toying around with lite with my launchkey for a few days now. Not sure yet if you are saying the version of Live I got isn't any good or not. I'm assuming its a big upgrade for Lite but not quite what Suite is?

I think I am just going to sell the APC20 out of the bundle since its brand new still.

I think I found a Push for 200$ so I have no problem just returning the MPD32 and selling the APC20. I think I will keep the launchkey.
Is Push good for drum beats?

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:25 pm

FreeHouseCleaning wrote: if you are saying the version of Live I got isn't any good or not. I'm assuming its a big upgrade for Lite but not quite what Suite is?
You'll be alright. What you might be missing later is Sampler and possibly Max For Live stuff. That should not worry you now. There's plenty of free virtual instruments that will take you a long way.
FreeHouseCleaning wrote: I think I found a Push for 200$ so I have no problem just returning the MPD32 and selling the APC20. I think I will keep the launchkey.
Is Push good for drum beats?
Yes, I certainly think so.
Make some music!

login

Post by login » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:29 pm

Watch some videos on Push on Ableton site, it has a drum sequencer.

For 200 if it is in good state it is a great deal.

Also, the main difference between Live Standard and Suite is the included Instruments of the later, but you can get some third party plug ins for that.

FreeHouseCleaning

Post by FreeHouseCleaning » Sun May 01, 2016 12:14 am

Okay I read up a bit on the Push. I ended up getting the one I was speaking about for 240. Its looks in great condition and the guy had the box and all the cords.
Ohhh Man! I guess I didn't totally grasp the functionality of this thing when I first started looking at gear.
I don't think I am going to keep the Launchkey anymore :lol:
I'm a complete noob and I can tell this thing gives you some real power. 4 hours has already completely disappeared in what feels like seconds. I got caught up in the drum sequencer pretty quick after laying down a melody.

So, I guess if I can get 80-100$ for my APC20/Sell the MPD32 (if the guy doesn't accept my return)/And return the Launchkey I will have gotten
Live 9 standard w/ bundled stuff + Push 1 for about 300$ total.

Now on to VST's. I don't plan on purchasing anything more right now. Definitely going to take the time to learn Ableton and get to know my Push. But since I have this thread open I'll ask here.
Do I need to concern myself with finding some VST's in the near future or will Live 9 Suite (when I upgrade) come with enough to keep me occupied for quite some time?

Shift Gorden

Post by Shift Gorden » Sun May 01, 2016 12:49 am

Congrats on the Push! It's a wicked controller!

Your question about VSTs is a tough one, mate! There's so much good stuff out there. Honestly, I think just play around with Suite when you upgrade and just see what "gaps" you have - then you'll be able to jump down the VST rabbit hole knowing what you need!

login

Post by login » Sun May 01, 2016 3:11 am

Wow man, that was super fast. Not even one day passed. Congratulations!

You got a great deal overall, wish I could have gotten your set up for that price when I started.

On VST's: they are many and offer different flavours, there is no best, it's all about what you really like.

My favorite is Diva, by u-he, a recreation of old synthetizers. Other favorite is Largo, by waldorf, very digital sounding.

If you are in to hip hop, I suppose because you say you want to make some beats, you are going to want big fat bass synth sounds, Diva is a good candidate as well as Monark by Native instruments.

Native instruments has big sales every year so wait for them, no point in getting them at full price. In black friday they discount individual product 50%. They also have a bundle, Komplete, which is discounted (but only ugrades and updates) 50% each year around spring or summer.

If you get interested in komplete I would suggest looking for a second hand license of Reaktor 5, which can be crossgraded to Komplete, with the sale the cost of the crossgrade is about 200 USD to Komplete and 400 to Komplete Ultimate. You can get reaktor for about 100 USD on the second hand market.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun May 01, 2016 1:06 pm

FreeHouseCleaning wrote: Do I need to concern myself with finding some VST's in the near future or will Live 9 Suite (when I upgrade) come with enough to keep me occupied for quite some time?
There is enough to make music but if the Live synths are up to "your sound" only you can decide. I suggest you devote a week at least to check out the Suite contents every day because there's a lot in there. I'm not sure you can test drive all the extra packs you can download when you don't have the Suite license. Anyone knows how that works?

For now, make sure you get deep into Ableton Live standard, if that's what you have now. There's plenty already there.

Personally I devoted a full year to all the Suite content and synths before I realized I didn't like much in it. I still have Suite and the instruments Sampler, Electric as well as Max For Live alone makes the Suite cost very defendable. My taste is very specific so I think many producers can make great sounds in their mind with the Live synths alone, especially when layering and treating the sounds and adding some freeware or other third party stuff here and there. It depends heavily on what you want to create and how you want to work and in the end your taste in sound.
Last edited by Stromkraft on Thu May 05, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make some music!

FreeHouseCleaning

Post by FreeHouseCleaning » Thu May 05, 2016 4:45 pm

Thanks for all the info guys! I definitely have enough with this bundle to keep me distracted for quite a while I think. :)