Setting up Soundflower

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jcrystal

Setting up Soundflower

Post by jcrystal » Thu May 05, 2016 9:20 pm

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5 and while in Live I can set Audio for an aggregate device (device output plus Soundflower), no other programs (like Quicktime) seem to recognize the Sound flower input. I've gone into the Preferences and Audio Midi Setup and made necessary settings, but still no luck. Is this a known problem or am I missing something?

EDIT: Searching elsewhere I've confirmed this is an issue with Yosemite. I have installed kuwatec Audio Loopback instead and that is working fine.

Stromkraft

Re: Setting up Soundflower

Post by Stromkraft » Mon May 09, 2016 7:24 pm

jcrystal wrote: EDIT: Searching elsewhere I've confirmed this is an issue with Yosemite. I have installed kuwatec Audio Loopback instead and that is working fine.
Interestingly I gave up and got Rouge Amoeba's Loopback instead. Saves me a lot of trouble.
Soundflower was nice once (last time for me in 10.6), but on 10.11 El Capitan this now seems over.
Make some music!

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue May 10, 2016 3:18 pm

After a certain version, the operation of Soundflower changed somewhat.

I think you used to have to look at a flower icon on the upper part of your screen, mess with sound preferences and adjust your input.

I think now SoundFlower works more in the background and If I remember most of it just involves setting up your audio inputs in Live to a Soundflower input, and going into system preferences and changing your audio playback to play through Soundflower.

That is pretty much it.

Sometimes you have to raise your buffers when recording or you can get pops and clicks.

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue May 10, 2016 4:26 pm

jlgrimes wrote:I think now SoundFlower works more in the background and If I remember most of it just involves setting up your audio inputs in Live to a Soundflower input, and going into system preferences and changing your audio playback to play through Soundflower. That is pretty much it.
yup that's how i use it on El Cap (using latest Soundflower 2.0b2) - works fine, no need for the old soundflowerbed app.

jcrystal

Post by jcrystal » Tue May 10, 2016 5:10 pm

Interesting, that does not seem to work in Yosemite
garyboozy wrote:
jlgrimes wrote:I think now SoundFlower works more in the background and If I remember most of it just involves setting up your audio inputs in Live to a Soundflower input, and going into system preferences and changing your audio playback to play through Soundflower. That is pretty much it.
yup that's how i use it on El Cap (using latest Soundflower 2.0b2) - works fine, no need for the old soundflowerbed app.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 10, 2016 5:51 pm

garyboozy wrote: yup that's how i use it on El Cap (using latest Soundflower 2.0b2) - works fine, no need for the old soundflowerbed app.
You need to be more specific as there is no official 2.0b2: RogueAmoeba/Soundflower-Original.

Did you build it yourself? If not, whose 2.0b2 build is this?
Make some music!

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 10, 2016 5:53 pm

jlgrimes wrote: Sometimes you have to raise your buffers when recording or you can get pops and clicks.
In my experience you get distortion after some hours of use. That's why I stopped using it. It has nothing to do with buffers.
Make some music!

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed May 11, 2016 12:52 am

Stromkraft wrote:
garyboozy wrote: yup that's how i use it on El Cap (using latest Soundflower 2.0b2) - works fine, no need for the old soundflowerbed app.
You need to be more specific as there is no official 2.0b2: RogueAmoeba/Soundflower-Original.

Did you build it yourself? If not, whose 2.0b2 build is this?
Matt Ingall is again the custodian of the SoundFlower project:

https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower