"drum trigger to MIDI" question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shaners

"drum trigger to MIDI" question

Post by shaners » Sun May 08, 2016 2:36 am

I was wondering if people on here could help me verify if my idea is good or if there's a better way to do THIS:

I have installed electronic drum triggers into an acoustic kit, from which I want to:

- Convert the piezo signals to MIDI
- Use Abelton Live 9 Lite as a host for EZDrummer2 (or maybe even superior Drummer 2.0)

Now I see people doing this sort of thing with various e-drum modules and just using its MIDI out to their computer. My questions are:

1. Are all these MIDI converters the same? I mean can I buy some cheap module like an Alesis D4? Since I'm not going to use the D4 samples included, just the MIDI out. Would the MIDI signal be any different if it were some expensive module like a Roland TD-30 (for example)?

2. Without building one myself, would there be any simple trigger to MIDI products that would suit my needs (best MIDI signal at the lowest cost; no onboard sound samples needed).

Stromkraft

Re: "drum trigger to MIDI" question

Post by Stromkraft » Tue May 10, 2016 5:23 am

shaners wrote: 1. Are all these MIDI converters the same? I mean can I buy some cheap module like an Alesis D4? Since I'm not going to use the D4 samples included, just the MIDI out. Would the MIDI signal be any different if it were some expensive module like a Roland TD-30 (for example)?
I'd say no simply because the triggering mechanisms and the minimum software analysis are likely different. False and double triggers being among the first things to watch out for. That said however, 2 units could do the job equally well in practice. Also, I'm not an expert on what's available.

You should also note that a fast audio interface and a fast machine affects latency quite a bit and latency is more noticeable with drum sounds.
Make some music!

hotdigerdidamn

Post by hotdigerdidamn » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:13 pm

Hi
How did you get on with this?
I'm curious too, having picked up a second hand Roland V-Drum and another trigger.
I've yet to buy a module...
What routes to explore?
Your thoughts appreciated

jonljacobi

Post by jonljacobi » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:11 pm

It's been a while, but when I was looking there were lots of proprietary solutions. You're going to have to peruse carefully. You'd be a lot better off asking in a drummers forum as they'll no doubt have more experience.