Serious issue with Live 9+

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aklisiewicz

Serious issue with Live 9+

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun May 15, 2016 1:21 am

I run Windows10 and 4k monitors. After upgrading the latest Live 9/5+ I have issues with using mouse to the point that I simply cannot use the software because it is to irritating. When I try to move rotating faders they move erratically or do not move at all. This same problem happens with volume fader. Let's say I have a volume 50% up and want to turn it up a bit. When I move my mouse up all of the sudden the fader goes all the way down. Then I have to keep repositioning the mouse and keep trying to make the fadder move. I tried current setup with Live-7 and it all works fine, so it is not mouse or computer issue, but LIVE itself must have some bug.

I wonder if there is any workaround or fix ?

Arthur
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

Precisionguided

Re: Serious issue with Live 9+

Post by Precisionguided » Sun May 15, 2016 3:31 am

I was wondering why this was happening. I wasn't getting this too much since I almost exclusively control live with my push 2 but it is really annoying when I do decide to do something with the mouse.

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Sun May 15, 2016 9:29 am

Win 10 have some issues with scaling on 4k displays. Try to disable systemwide scaling, reset it to 100% and try to use the Zoom option of Live instead. The next big Win10 update should fix such issues.
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun May 15, 2016 1:57 pm

If I set Win10 scaling to 100% I will not be able to read system fonts (wvwrything else will be to small). This same issue happens when I try to zoom in/out on the timeline etc.. move sliders. When I open Live7 it all works fine (same PC) so it is definitely Live9 issue.
Sadarahu

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun May 15, 2016 9:51 pm

aklisiewicz wrote:If I set Win10 scaling to 100% I will not be able to read system fonts (wvwrything else will be to small). This same issue happens when I try to zoom in/out on the timeline etc.. move sliders. When I open Live7 it all works fine (same PC) so it is definitely Live9 issue.
Could that be because Live 9 moves graphics tasks to the system, in this case Windows 10? And Live 7 doesn't?

Still, it should work. Nothing relevant in Win 10 should be unknown to Ableton.
Make some music!

contortrix

Post by contortrix » Mon May 16, 2016 4:14 am

This isn't much help, but it sounds more like a Win10 issue. Running latest 9.6.1 in 4k here (I've used it scaled, and currently use it without scaling, as I sit close to the screen) without any issues, using Win8.1. I would not upgrade to Win10 until MS release 10.1; and even then, I'd wait for everyone else to beta test it for me. If using 8.1 or 7 were an option for you, I'd take that, drastic as it might seem. That's all the advice I've got to offer, unfortunately.
[ Live 12 Suite ] [ Push 3 SA ] [ Linnstrument ]
Mech-17GP2 = i9-13900HX | 8TB NVMe | 64GB DDR5 | GTX 4090 | CRG9 | Win11 Pro
iFi Gryphon + MOTU M4 + DCA Aeon X + Focal Alpha 65

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon May 16, 2016 2:50 pm

Live9 still uses its own fonts (which is very unfortunate) because those fonts are pro quality and many people have problem reading it. Yes you are right to the part that when I set scaling to 100% it works fine but everything on the screen is so tiny small that it is impossible to use the program at all. I really do not care how they handle the display, fonts etc. one thing I know I will probably ask for refund, since Live9+ is not ready for Windows10/4K at all. I do not think Microsoft will fix those issues soon. Every new version of Windows is worse than a previous one and I can't wait till the day when MS will be eliminated from the market. Until then I'm tied up to Windows because of work.

I also noticed that many even 32bit VSTs are not working anymore. When I try to open projects created with LIVE7 most of them crash Live9 and it takes forever to kill the task and restart it. I was hoping at least this would be fixed (because Live has this problem since ver5).

I wonder how other people handle migrating their projects to Live9+ ?

Arthur
Sadarahu

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon May 16, 2016 2:53 pm

Thank you for the advice. I cannot switch to Win7 or 8, and I'm only very sorry that Ableton does not address this issue to those who want to upgrade. If I knew this I would keep Live7. Yes I noticed that when I set screen sizing to 100% it seems to work fine but on the other hand I wonder why there is no such issue in Live7 on the same PC ?

Arthur
Sadarahu

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Mon May 16, 2016 4:14 pm

Arthur, did you report your issue to support@ableton.com?
Ableton Forum Moderator

[daw]

Post by [daw] » Tue May 17, 2016 3:17 pm

[jur] wrote:Arthur, did you report your issue to support@ableton.com?
He did indeed, we covered this issue in a Knowledge Base article, if someone else is curious:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... ouse-zoom/

[jur]
Site Admin

Post by [jur] » Tue May 17, 2016 4:02 pm

[daw] wrote:
[jur] wrote:Arthur, did you report your issue to support@ableton.com?
He did indeed, we covered this issue in a Knowledge Base article, if someone else is curious:

https://www.ableton.com/en/help/article ... ouse-zoom/
:wink:
Ableton Forum Moderator

Tagor

Post by Tagor » Tue May 17, 2016 11:23 pm

I got GUI-Laggyness when instances of Omnisphere are Layerd on the Second Monitor and there is the RME TotalMix in the Backround also..
then sometimes the Omni-Guise or even Live Knobs on Monitor 1 get Laggy ... when CPU is going over 50 %.. it lock the Volumes or the VSTI-Gui for a second.. i already gave the integrated HD-Graphic CPU more then 512 MB Cache in Bios, but it did not help...

I am running Live 9.6.1 win 7 64 bit i73770k / 32 Gb Ram 1600 on SSD Samsung EVo 850 Pro

i did not try to change resolution, but aero-things are enabled.. maybe they cause it?

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:56 pm

I've red all the articles and advice on the issues and so far was not able to resolve it. Ableton send me some links with (so called) workarounds but it did not fixed the issue. I asked for refund and they said it is to late because I used Live9 already for to long (which at that time was about 2-3 months). Unfortunately when I upgrader frmo v7 to 9 I only used 1920x1200 screen so was not able to discover the issue. Once I upgraded my PC and 2 monitors to 4K the Pandora Box opened up and I'm struggling.
- Sliders and knobs do not work with mouse
- Resizing, zooming does not work
- fonts are unreadable (or at least very very hard to read)
- Live9 crashes quite often

Example:
- I opened the program and started adding original Live instruments to the tracks.
- after having about 6-7 added Live started crashing. By the time I have added about 16 instruments Live crashed about every time I added the new one. I got 32Gb RAM and 256Gb SSD just for system + 2x6Tb RAID HD for file storage so there should not be a memory issue etc.
Sadarahu

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:02 pm

aklisiewicz wrote:If I set Win10 scaling to 100% I will not be able to read system fonts (wvwrything else will be to small). This same issue happens when I try to zoom in/out on the timeline etc.. move sliders. When I open Live7 it all works fine (same PC) so it is definitely Live9 issue.
What about “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings” just for Live? Surely this or something similar is still in Windows 10?
Make some music!

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:35 pm

Looks like you did not read through this thread. When you disable scaling the fonts are so tiny small you cannot read anything on 4k monitor.
Sadarahu